Sign in to follow this  

How can I work together with my friend on a game?

This topic is 400 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

As the title says: How can I work together with my friend on a game?

I need Ideas on how to work with a friend to code our game. We are planning on making a strategy game and I need to know how we can both work on the same project at once. Are there any platforms that let both users edit a document/project/game at the same time similar to google docs/slides/sheets, etc?

Yes absolutely, there are lots of free solutions out there! What you're looking for is known as a source control system. There are lots of different flavours: SVN, Git, Perforce.

Check out these sites:

* GitHub

* CodePlex

* BitBucket

The basic idea is that the server you work with maintains the most current version of your source code. You can 'check out' (like taking a book out of a library) various source files from your project, make changes and then submit the results back to the server. That's a fairly simplistic view of the system and each one has their own idiosyncrasies of course.

Hope that helps!

You need few things:
A- A source controlled repository for your code. Git & remote gitt apps (bitBucket, github,etc...).

Keeping your source up to date with each other and other meaningful tools like commenting and versioning.

B- Documentation, find a platform that you both can comfortably enjoy, remember you are in a small team so even simple emails or drawing boards may be more useful than tools like Jira.

C- Work methodology- Set up the way you work, for small teams "Extreme progamming" may be useful . 

D- Keep business up and running (Not in terms of money). For small scale projects it's easy to abandon it or just not work on it.

Set up weekly meetings and 'pair-programming' sessions to keep yourself working on it.

Good luck :)

If you are looking at a site for hosting your projects, you can take a look at some pros and cons in this comparison.

Note that you first need to determine your version control software before looking at some site for hosting your code. You can use Subversion, Git (not the same as Github!), Mercurial, etc. which all have some different features. For instance: Subversion does not require a local copy of the full version history. Git on the other hand requires a full copy which can be as large as the version itself but does not require an internet connection all the time for staging progress.

Think about:

• Source control system (Git, SVN, Perforce etc.)
  • Shared documentation, personally I like cloud-based. Can be simple like a Google Doc or more complex. Slack could be useful for communicating and sharing documentation.
  • Not just have an initial design for your game but also how you will work to develop it. Agile/Extreme Programming/Lean are popular methodologies. If you're both working on it remotely think how you can do this online and the tools you will need to do that.
  • Set some aims and goals with a target date, it is easy to start a project but hard to finish it unless you keep working at it.
  • Target platform, do you want your game to use DirectX if so your bound to Windows or do you want it to work on most mobile devices from the last 2-3 years? Also, think about tools to help you do this, a game engine like Unity or AMD/NVIDIA tools to debug and profile their GPU's.
  • Consider how you're going to release the game. Just stick the code on GitHub for anyone to download if they find it or have the executable to download from your personal website. Do you want to try to build a community around the game (I'm not saying you need 100's or 1000's of people or spend money on marketing) but a way for people to more likely discover your game and play it? Think about it at the start, you might want to do monthly development diaries or something.

Hope that's useful and good luck.

This topic is 400 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.