Sign in to follow this  

About Game Engines

This topic is 407 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

are there and game engines (if possible free) that can create server - client (mmo) games like?

Probably all of them. Most major engines (Unity, Unreal, etc.) have networking built in. You will still need the hardware (server itself) and to match that networking to your needs. Honestly, I don't see why you couldn't add networking to other engines as well (that don't already include it). I think this is "which engine would take the least work" or "which engine has built-in capability", since almost any engine can be added to.

Assuming you wanted an answer about an existing engine that has this capability out of the box, to my knowledge your only option is Hero Engine.

That engine was used for the Old Republic and for Elder Scrolls Online. I've never used it myself so I can't speak for its ease of use or out of the box capabilities.

does unreal and cry engine work with windows 10?

First of all the source code of both engines is hosted at Github (UE and CryEngine) so you can built from source and even adapt the code if necessary.

The requirements of UE and CryEngine do not mention Windows 10, but since Windows 10 feels like an ugly UI shell over Windows 8.1 (although with DirectX 12 support but thus DirectX 11 support as well), you probably can install and run both engines (with or without compatibility mode turned on).

Still you should definitely consider Amazon's Lumberyard for your purposes since they primarily aim at MMOs.

But the most MMO are made with UE

Lumberyard is a new engine. Amazon is still developing a whole bunch of games to start promoting the engine.

Lumberyard is deeply integrated with Amazon Web Services, which should facilitate the whole server part of your purposes a lot.

does unreal and cry engine work with windows 10?

Unreal certainly does, not sure about cry engine. 

Server/client architecture is great in Unreal, very easy to get objects, animations & physics replicating -  this tutorial covers the basics.

This topic is 407 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.