OpenGl vs. DirectX

Started by
18 comments, last by Darksailor 22 years, 4 months ago
Hi, i want to start learning game programming. Should i learn OpenGL or DirectX ? Which is easier to learn, more powerful, more supported etc.? cu ds
Advertisement
A search in all forums for "opengl vs directx" yielded at least 11 hits with that string in the topic.

I like stories.

The fanatic is incorruptible: if he kills for an idea, he can just as well get himself killed for one; in either case, tyrant or martyr, he is a monster.
--EM Cioran

Opere Citato
"... we should have such an empire for liberty as she has never surveyed since the creation ..."Thomas Jefferson
Haha nice joke.

Here we go again

"A search in all forums for "opengl vs directx" yielded at least 11 hits with that string in the topic." -NewDeal

No, that is incorrect sir.

A search in all forums would produce at least 12. =)

HAHAHA I love when people straight up say "So what do I start first: ogl or dx?"

its very amusing.

Im sorry, I get too excited.

I like the way that these questions get posted in either the DirectX or OpenGL forum, but the posters still expect an unbiased answer.
Yes good point.

HERE"S AN IDEA!

Search the web for articles BEFORE posting stuff like "Which is better, OpenGL or DirectX"..

LOL come to think of it, I was online the other day and saw someone post the following

"Hello. I am new to opungl and I wanted to make something like quake only with more weapons. how do I do this?"

(The above was a direct quote, no bull shit)

It''s rather amusing, really.
quote:
LOL come to think of it, I was online the other day and saw someone post the following
"Hello. I am new to opungl and I wanted to make something like quake only with more weapons. how do I do this?"
(The above was a direct quote, no bull shit)

It''s rather amusing, really.

Yes, I saw something similar some time ago, there was a newbie asking on how he could write a black''n''white clone, he was (in his own opinion) a very advanced programmer, with over *3 months* of VB experience ! WOW

I agree, it''s funny...
Well, you could do what I did, and write a multi-graphics engine that supports Direct3D, OpenGL, and Glide rendering (this is a sprite engine btw, so also has support for software GDI and DirectDraw).

Darksailor, what is your purpose for learning any 3D API? Download the documentation for both, and try the one that seems easier to learn for you. Once you''ve done that, try the other one.

MatrixCubed
http://MatrixCubed.cjb.net

Can someone just make a forum for this topic?

Demetrios Georgeadis
Director/Programmer
Oniera Software Artists

www.oniera.com

Demetrios GeorgeadisDirector/ProgrammerOniera Software Artists

www.oniera.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement