OpenGl vs. DirectX

Started by
18 comments, last by Darksailor 22 years, 4 months ago
Ya good Idea!

Hey Shining Knight; I know once you read this you''ll close it, bu hey; Try to get a forum JUST FOR DX vs. OGL. It''d be a good place to watch all the posters to.

overnight youll get around 1000000 posts lol.
Advertisement
as a noob i can say that using ogl is WAY easier than setting up direct x

but that''s just me
Well , I understand that experienced game programmers can be fed up of answering questions about direct x vs opengl, nevertheless it is key question for a beginner.

For example I lost about two years getting started with Direct x.

In my opinion it would be fair to inform the Dev comunity that:

Opengl is the best choice to grasp the basic of graphic programming as well as for amateurs or shareware developers, Direct x is a must for anyone who want to undertake a career as professional game programmers.
Heres one:

Should I learn OpenGL or DirectX? I heard both are too hard for people who have no programming expierience so I decided to make my own API. Any advice?

LOL. If someone ever posted that...

------------------------------
(Since noone seems to look at the article proposal forums..)
Interested in Flash tutorials on GameDev? Speak Up Here!

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you..."~Friedrich Nietzsche
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
AlbertoT: while your post may be somewhat accurate. a newbie should NOT be worrying about whether to use OpenGL or DirectX, but rather learning how to program. Becoming a proficient developer takes time and practice. Once one has achieved a command of programming logic then one can venture into specific API''s and platforms. If someone is going to get into 3D programming then they should understand the basic concepts of 3D theory, such as trigonometry. Armed with knowledge one can easily determine with a couple test programs which 3D API will suit their needs. This POST has nothing to do with a persons skill level, but rather the individual''s resistance to learn anything on their own. i.e. jumping the computer programming bandwagon. it''s like me going up to Vince Carter and asking him "do you think i should shoot at a 35 degree angle or 40"? it all depends on the person. it''s pretty simple, i tried Direct3D for a couple weeks (4 years ago) and didn''t like it, so i bought the OpenGL reference guide and followed the examples. thus, based on my own experiences was able to determine which API i should use. i also experimented with "glide" but stuck with OpenGL. questions like this POST are ignorant and is a real sign of lazy programmer.

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
jenova
Thanks for your comments.
I think that the correct choice depends on what Darksailor is looking for, but also that our comunity should help him to make the correct choice instead of providing generic or ironic answers.

For example , I have a basic software and a deep engineering background from school.
my job has nothing to do neither with programming nor engineering.
I can dedicate few hours a week only to my hobby.
Sometimes I dream to make money with my games but when I wake up and I realize it is a dream.
When I sit down in front of my computer, after dinner , the only thing I ask is to have fun and not to get an headache.

Would you honestly suggest to me to use Direct x.?

DirectX versus OpenGL, hmmm.

well, one thing that I can input is that DirectX covers more areas of game programming other than graphics. DirectInput, DirectSound, DirectDraw, Direct3D, and more are all parts of a larger picture. And the thing is with DirectX, is that when you learn one part (like DirectSound or DirectDraw), the rest of the parts are easy to learn because they use the same concepts and setups.

Plus, as one person stated, DirectX experience is pretty much a prerequisite for becoming a professional. If you check any help-wanted ads in game company websites (like Midway or Capcom), you can see the backup to this statement.

OpenGL is good, and it''s pretty easy as far as I can see. If you just want to focus mainly on graphics, and just want to make games and projects for yourself, I''d try to learn that first.

my POST has nothing to do with OpenGL vs. Direct3D (obviously not the entire DirectX API). and i see nothing wrong with helping people who have difficult to find questions. i have even coded examples with comments and e-mailed it to people from this message board. the argument here is that people are (becoming/being) lazy. computer programming is NOT easy. i''ve spent the last 15 years proving that point. and i still have to ask questions. but, geez, if you want to become a programmer (which the original POSTER has stated) then you should know how to use a search engine. how long does it take to search for examples, definitions, specs, etc. or code a simple test to render some polygons whether using Direct3D or OpenGL. that''s how you learn, not by asking people to make your every decision for you.

quote:Original post by AlbertoT
I think that... our comunity should help him to make the correct choice instead of providing generic or ironic answers.

There is nothing generic or ironic about asking someone to make use of his brain - or a search engine if that fails.

quote:<Cutting a lot of description>
Would you honestly suggest to me to use Direct x.?

Yes, why not? I have an engineering background as well but have been programming C++ for 6+ years and I don''t like OpenGL. It''s still a question of preference and the way your brain works. If you prefer
Device->DrawPrimitive(primitive_type, ...); 

to
glDrawPrimitive(primitive_type,...); 

then use DirectX. Otherwise use OpenGL.

The real critical issue is that every aspiring professional programmer must learn to use tools he isn''t exactly ecstatic about, from operating systems and APIs to programming languages.
You have no idea how tired I am of these threads. Please, read the FAQ before you start posting, and if you really wanna find out about DX vs. GL, search for previous posts.

And if you guys want a PERMANENT thread about DX vs. GL, have Dave set you up one.

------------------------------
Trent (ShiningKnight)
E-mail me
ShiningKnight Games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement