Housing and rent costs in life sim game

Started by
3 comments, last by Bumblefish2 7 years, 5 months ago

having trouble of thinking of a list of different kinds of houses/apartments in my life sim rpg game and what they'd cost to rent or

buy. The game is set in a random city in the US, could be anywhere. Could anyone give me like some ideas of a list?

Advertisement
I think this is a Game Design question rather than a Writing question, so I'm moving it to GD.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Rents vary ridiculously between US cities. Are we talking a city like New York or San Francisco (where 4 grand/month is lucky to net you a 2 bedroom apartment), a city like Detroit (where 4 grand/month will net you a penthouse) or something inbetween?

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Rents even vary widely between different cities in the same state, and even within the same metro area.

2-bedroom apartments generally run about $4000/month in San Francisco, but drop to around $2500/month across the bay in Oakland or in nearby San Jose, and can be found under $2000/month in further-out suburbs like Livermore. They go for anywhere from $1500/month to over $4000/month in Los Angeles depending on the part of town, to say nothing of the other cities in that enormous metro area. Meanwhile, in central California, 2-bedrooms apartments generally run about $1000/month and can go as low as $600/month...

general city could be anywhere though to give a guess of the types of houses i'd say it starts at some tiny matchbox apartment maybe and goes up to a mansion

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement