Sign in to follow this  

Question about C++ game development

This topic is 404 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been playing around with C++ for a very long time(I assume).  All I ever create with C++ was console applications. During that time, I took a break from C++ and I tried other languages (C#, Html, JavaScript, Python, CSS, Java,Jquery,C). Throughout of those languages, I still feel like C++ is a straightforward language.  So far, I learn just enough of the basics to get started. A lot of people tell me to read the books but I'm not  a reading guy. I am a visual/tactile learner. After watching Kate videos on C++11 from PluralSight, I started to feel like C++ is much easier than everyone says it is. My passion is to make video games, software, devices, and much more  I have a lot of ideas and projects that I want to put to good use. My problem is I don't know how to think like a programmer. I know how I want it but I don't know how to implement it. I want to use what I know to think outside of the box. 

What's the catch to getting off of the "Console application" shell? How to be more creative with C++? 

A nice way to move on from the command line to doing 2D drawing are the awesome LazyFoo tutorials.

lazyfoo.net/tutorials/SDL

I have heard from a lot of beginners that these tutorials make C++/SDL the easiest tool to learn when starting out. Even easier than C#/XNA.

And yes, I agree C++ is a straight forward language. It sometimes has a bad name for being complex because it has quite a bit of legacy baggage but if you simply stay away from that old stuff, it is a fine choice even for starting out. Plus it opens up a lot more doors for you in the long run than many other languages in terms of platform support and library support.

Edited by Karsten_

My vote is for SFML, particularly because it makes very idiomatic use of C++. Go through [url="http://www.sfml-dev.org/tutorials/2.4/"]the SFML tutorials[/url] and you'll have most of what you need to make games in C++. It should also be mentioned that you can be enormously creative without ever leaving the confines of the console. For instance, you can write a compiler, a chess engine, or an automated trading system.

My passion is to make video games, software, devices, and much more  I have a lot of ideas and projects that I want to put to good use. My problem is I don't know how to think like a programmer. I know how I want it but I don't know how to implement it. I want to use what I know to think outside of the box.    What's the catch to getting off of the "Console application" shell? How to be more creative with C++?

As mentioned above you could use SFML

So I will consentrate on the unanswered part

"My problem is I don't know how to think like a programmer.  ...  how to implement it"

As you are a visual learner, I assume you will do well as a visual developer, so when you visualise a project, an idea or an application ....think of breaking  the project down to manageable parts.

After splitting an idea down, think about which part is the core of your project and visualise a simplified version of it. Further more break this simplified version down until it becomes so less scary that you can tackle it head on

From here on you should keep adding to it and you will begin to slowly build towards your ultimate target project 

Also you should probably get used to writing things down a lot to keep track of the web of things (if you aren't already), because as the project builds up and things get more complicated you can so easily get lost from your own project

And very importantly -Try to use tools, middleware and game engines when you can

My vote is for SFML, particularly because it makes very idiomatic use of C++. Go through the SFML tutorials and you'll have most of what you need to make games in C++.

It should also be mentioned that you can be enormously creative without ever leaving the confines of the console. For instance, you can write a compiler, a chess engine, or an automated trading system.

I never thought about writing a compiler. Maybe even my own library would be fun too. That will be very interesting on my resume. Chess engine? Trading system? I'll do some more research with this. Thanks :)

Edited by Son_David

My passion is to make video games, software, devices, and much more  I have a lot of ideas and projects that I want to put to good use. My problem is I don't know how to think like a programmer. I know how I want it but I don't know how to implement it. I want to use what I know to think outside of the box.    What's the catch to getting off of the "Console application" shell? How to be more creative with C++?

As mentioned above you could use SFML

So I will consentrate on the unanswered part

"My problem is I don't know how to think like a programmer.  ...  how to implement it"

As you are a visual learner, I assume you will do well as a visual developer, so when you visualise a project, an idea or an application ....think of breaking  the project down to manageable parts.

After splitting an idea down, think about which part is the core of your project and visualise a simplified version of it. Further more break this simplified version down until it becomes so less scary that you can tackle it head on

From here on you should keep adding to it and you will begin to slowly build towards your ultimate target project 

Also you should probably get used to writing things down a lot to keep track of the web of things (if you aren't already), because as the project builds up and things get more complicated you can so easily get lost from your own project

And very importantly -Try to use tools, middleware and game engines when you can

I write things down every day. I am always thinking about my projects and what can I do to make them the way I want. I will use this advice you gave me. Also, I forgot to mention that for one of my projects(2d game platform), I was using unity3d. It is still in progress because I get overwhelm working on everything from the art, audio, scripting, levels, etc. I choose unity3d because of the 2d game features but I don't like C#. Indeed, it is easier but it's more like Java than C++ to me. 

Edited by Son_David

This topic is 404 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.