So, I'm a new Developer

Started by
9 comments, last by Budowalski 7 years, 5 months ago

And I was thinking, Since i'm starting with no budget, what Should I start with?

Here is what I was thinking:

*Find a free Game Development Software/Client

*What Should I Start With? (Examples: Rom Hacking, Designing Sprite work, Etc.)

*Do you think I could make anything? Like RPG's (Role Playing Games), or Platformers

*Should I buy some guides, like a "How to use __________" Or Stuff Like that?

*I am a Game Player, I've tried to make a game before, but it was difficult, REALLY difficult (Game Maker was the Program)

*Inspiration? I don't want to be to Inspired, but Considering Mr. "Radiation" (Toby Fox) was inspired by The Mother Series, do you think I should play more games to get inspired?

*Should I Distribute free Demo's, to get more attention to the game i'm making?

*Or Should I Try to build something that only a few people know about?

Also, Iwata said this quote during the Game Developer Confrence 2005:

"On My Business Card, I am a Corporate President, in my mind, I am a game developer, but in my heart, I am a gamer."

Advertisement

Hmm... Guess no one wants to answer my questions... Guess I'll work on my own.

Usually, lack of answers means you didn't provide enough information. We don't even know about your current skillset or even your field (coder? artist? designer?).

Start very small and simple. You'll end up spending significantly more time on it than you imagine at first.

shaken, not stirred

If you've no experience in programming, I definitely would not have "ROM Hacks" as an option yet.

But sure, anyone could make anything depending on their level of skill. The easiest to make would likely be a very very simple text game like hang man. Which will show you the ropes of a game loop. After that, pick your poison between simple RPG, Roguelike, platformer, top down adventure, isometric game, etc.

As long as the project is within your grasp, and is not too terribly complicated. You can do it. Just remember that on your own, it's very unlikely that you'll make anything worth selling. Especially your first five games or so.

Don't worry too much about art assets. Just roll with programmer art, and anything you can find that's legally available to you.

Play with some libraries. Get to learn them, and buy some books.

And at some point, you'll learn that this hobby can be a downright bastard at times when something is just out of your grasp of understanding. But don't give up hope. That's what this forum is for.

You did provide little information on yourself and you gave us an hour to reply before you gave up. Getting help requires great communication and explanation of the issue(s) with as much detail as possible. Start off very simple, even a mario clone might be to hard if you're new to programming or at least game programming. Give us another post with info and we will do our best.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

You should start with finding out, what you want to do, then evaluate the options for doing so, then do it.

blah :)

*I am a Game Player, I've tried to make a game before, but it was difficult, REALLY difficult (Game Maker was the Program)

If Game Maker was really really difficult, then your programming skill is not at a sufficient level. Or you tried to use Game Maker without a good tutorial.

Learn how to program in general. Arrays, loops, if-else, functions, classes. Once you're comfortable with that, then try Game Maker (or something like that) again.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Make art work, try to use something like unity to build your game. Keep in mind without a programming background you will forever be stuck in the limits of a drag and drop game making program so don't be ambitious.

Maybe you can make like some clone games on steam and android or something.

To be successful when learning to make games, you need to first understand general game logic. While there's some tools that don't require programming, at minimum you need to understand logic. While it's much easier to find programming tutorials than a "game designer logic tutorial", i'd suggest starting learning something like basic or java/C# (if you think you can delve in that deep). When i began, the first real program i used (besides game maker and rpg maker) was dark basic pro. It's quite simple and will help you understand how game logic and programming works, and they have a decent community to help you learn. Learning to program is almost vital to make games the way you really want, unless you have a programmer to do the dirty work for you. I cut my teeth on a pong clone back in the day, and it taught me everything from AI to physics and collision detection. How the general game engines Load, Update, Draw systems work to manage the flow of a game.

Learning art is something you'll need to do, as an indie developer as well. Even if you have free assets to use, you will often need to modify them to fit your game.

Hmm... Guess no one wants to answer my questions... Guess I'll work on my own.

You just waited one hour for this sentence? Learn to be patient. Especially with yourself.
You will need that for your learning progress :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement