Sign in to follow this  

X4717 Effects deprecated for D3DCompiler_47

This topic is 398 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I started to learn while coding some basic Direct3D 11 functionality.

My current code compiles and runs fine, but I still obtain:

X4717 Effects deprecated for D3DCompiler_47

I use only one .fx file named effect.fx:

//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// ModelTransform Variables
//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
cbuffer ModelTransform : register(b0) {
    matrix model_to_world;
    matrix world_to_view;
    matrix view_to_projection;
}

//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Vertex Shader
struct VS_OUTPUT {
    float4 p : SV_POSITION;
    float4 diffuse : COLOR0;
};

VS_OUTPUT VS(float4 p : POSITION, float4 diffuse : COLOR) {
    VS_OUTPUT output = (VS_OUTPUT)0;
    output.p = mul(p, model_to_world);
    output.p = mul(output.p, world_to_view);
    output.p = mul(output.p, view_to_projection);
    output.diffuse = diffuse;
    return output;
}

// Pixel Shader
float4 PS(VS_OUTPUT input) : SV_Target {
    return input.diffuse;
}

which I compile at runtime

const HRESULT result_vertex_shader_blob = CompileShaderFromFile(L"Project 4/shaders/effect.fx", "VS", "vs_4_0", &vertex_shader_blob);
const HRESULT result_pixel_shader_blob = CompileShaderFromFile(L"Project 4/shaders/effect.fx", "PS", "ps_4_0", &pixel_shader_blob);

These methods eventually call

D3DCompileFromFile

Should I break the code in one .vs and .ps file?

There is some discussion about Effects 11. But it doesn't really help.

The warning shouldn't stop you.
For future development you could consider managing the "effects" yourself.

It's no problem/ actually common practice to have the PS and VS in one HLSL file.

I don't see any effects extensions being used in your code and you don't seem to be compiling with an effects target (fx_*). Can we see the call to D3DCompileFromFile?

inline HRESULT CompileShaderFromFile(LPCWSTR file_name, LPCSTR entry_point, LPCSTR shader_target, ID3DBlob **output_blob) {

DWORD shader_flags = D3DCOMPILE_ENABLE_STRICTNESS;
#ifdef _DEBUG
    shader_flags |= D3DCOMPILE_DEBUG;
    shader_flags |= D3DCOMPILE_SKIP_OPTIMIZATION;
#endif

ID3DBlob *error_blob = NULL;
    const HRESULT result_compile = D3DCompileFromFile(file_name, NULL, NULL, entry_point, shader_target, shader_flags, 0, output_blob, &error_blob);
    if (FAILED(result_compile)) {
        if (error_blob) {
            OutputDebugStringA(reinterpret_cast<const char*>(error_blob->GetBufferPointer()));
            error_blob->Release();
        }
        return result_compile;
    }
    if (error_blob) {
        error_blob->Release();
    }

return S_OK;
}

Project Properties > General Configuration > HLSL Compiler:

Shader type: Effect (/fx)

Shader Model: Shader Model 5.0 (/5.0)

Edited by matt77hias

In this case visual studio "checks" your HLSL files in the project using the compiler as it where an FX / effect. But in your code your not using the effects.

If you go to the properties of the HLSL file and exclude it from build, the warning probably disappears. I'd ignore it because the advantage now is that you can directly go to any error in the HLSL file if there is one.

Basically the shaders are now compiled twice.

In this case visual studio "checks" your HLSL files in the project using the compiler as it where an FX / effect. But in your code your not using the effects.

If you go to the properties of the HLSL file and exclude it from build, the warning probably disappears. I'd ignore it because the advantage now is that you can directly go to any error in the HLSL file if there is one.

Basically the shaders are now compiled twice.

So excluding from the build removes the specific warning but also all other warnings and errors that could sneak into the code in the future. ok so I leave it be.

Since you say I am compiling the shaders twice, can I obtain the binary blob somehow without doing a second compile in my code?

Question 1;
You wont miss any errors, assuming you have the debug flag enabled in your compilation code. Possible errors and warnings from the shaders will appear in your output window (without the warning you got rid off :))

Question 2:
This is definately possible, I believe the VS compiler (if you enable it again), automatically produces a compiled shader file). I think it has a .cod extension

This is definately possible, I believe the VS compiler (if you enable it again), automatically produces a compiled shader file). I think it has a .cod extension

I have some .cso files.

This should do the job apparently:

ID3DBlob *buffer;
D3DReadFileToBlob(L"test.cso", &buffer);
Edited by matt77hias

My advice and it's only my opinion is move away from Effects as soon as you feel conformable. Yes. It is more complex initially but after the initial hump its much more modular and flexible.

I just found after a while it stunted my progress.

Anyway gl.

My advice and it's only my opinion is move away from Effects as soon as you feel conformable. Yes. It is more complex initially but after the initial hump its much more modular and flexible.

I am just starting to learn and getting used to D3D11. But I assume you are referring to per-stage compilation as in compiling ?s_5_[0/1], where ? is one of vertex, pixel, geometry, hull, domain, or compute?

Maybe there's some misunderstanding here.

As I understand from your code, you are not using the effects framework at all.

The only thing that uses the effects framework, is VS, compiling your HLSL file redundantly, before your code is executed. When your code is executed, the same HLSL file is compiled without using the Effects framework.

If you change the properties of the HLSL file to VS or PS, the error would be gone and you'd have the advantage of having the HLSL files in the IDE.

When you have both the PS and VS in one file, you can use a 'stub' file, which is basically adding a 2nd HLSL file with an include to the original one. Then you configure the 1st file to compile the VS and the 2nd file to compile the PS.

Maybe there's some misunderstanding here.

As I understand from your code, you are not using the effects framework at all.

The only thing that uses the effects framework, is VS, compiling your HLSL file redundantly, before your code is executed. When your code is executed, the same HLSL file is compiled without using the Effects framework.

If you change the properties of the HLSL file to VS or PS, the error would be gone and you'd have the advantage of having the HLSL files in the IDE.

When you have both the PS and VS in one file, you can use a 'stub' file, which is basically adding a 2nd HLSL file with an include to the original one. Then you configure the 1st file to compile the VS and the 2nd file to compile the PS.

I currently have a separate header .hlsl file that includes my effect.fx for each different entry point and I have set the entry point and shader type in the file configuration. But I can live with Visual Studio compiling the files in advance and do not compile a second time at runtime. I now load the compiled blobs from the .cso files.

But like you said I removed the body file effect.fx from the build since I actually do not need the effect.cso (i.e. the entry point is undefined).

Edited by matt77hias

I am just starting to learn and getting used to D3D11. But I assume you are referring to per-stage compilation as in compiling ?s_5_[0/1], where ? is one of vertex, pixel, geometry, hull, domain, or compute?

Yeah. And is not much of a leap which i found out.

This topic is 398 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.