Malware link in adverts

Started by
7 comments, last by fastcall22 7 years, 4 months ago
Hi

A few minutes ago I was replying to a thread here about encrypting assets with rsa and as I went back after editing my reply I was hit with a barrage of popup windows.

I have attached screenshots.

They appear to redirect from "mobileadstracker.com" or something via the Google ads. I'm not fast enough to screenshot this url.

Can someone please find and remove the offending ad before someone installs this junk and falls for the fake warning?

Thanks!!!

[attachment=33911:Screenshot_2016-11-12-23-50-13.png][attachment=33913:Screenshot_2016-11-12-23-50-17.png][attachment=33914:Screenshot_2016-11-12-23-50-24.png][attachment=33915:Screenshot_2016-11-12-23-50-38.png]
Advertisement

Exactly this!

I reported some weeks ago ---> http://www.gamedev.net/topic/683246-malicious-looking-ad/?view=findpost&p=5317117

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

That's the most hilarious scare tactic phrase I've heard in a long time :)

Not sure if this belongs in this same thread, but I just got a pretty bad redirect on desktop. What made me particularly sad is that aside from the fact that it's some random URL and that Chrome is perfectly able to update itself, there's no obvious giveaway that it's a trap, so I can imagine this actually tricking some people.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

Not sure if this belongs in this same thread, but I just got a pretty bad redirect on desktop. What made me particularly sad is that aside from the fact that it's some random URL and that Chrome is perfectly able to update itself, there's no obvious giveaway that it's a trap, so I can imagine this actually tricking some people.

The image is blurry, and I can't see the URL. Can you c&p that here? It'll help find the offender.

Admin for GameDev.net.

I've attached an image of just the URL in case I didn't transcribe it correctly, but it looks like

https://thohnp30data.com/4771236178540/df08ac7bc8feb5e848b8df23b581fc38/6f1717b0542930cb4e55e2219c90b2ce.html

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

I just got a similar redirect, to a site stating that my computer was infected and I can pay to have the viruses removed. I have put gamedev on my adblocker whitelist for a while now, but have gotten these kind of ad redirects thanks to not blocking the popups. I appreciate that they are taken care of and that the site admins try to keep up on these kind of things, but I have ad blocker for this very reason, if I have to disable ad blocker to view this site (without the built in nag), but this site gives me reason to want an ad blocker, then what am I supposed to do?

I just got a similar redirect, to a site stating that my computer was infected and I can pay to have the viruses removed. I have put gamedev on my adblocker whitelist for a while now, but have gotten these kind of ad redirects thanks to not blocking the popups. I appreciate that they are taken care of and that the site admins try to keep up on these kind of things, but I have ad blocker for this very reason, if I have to disable ad blocker to view this site (without the built in nag), but this site gives me reason to want an ad blocker, then what am I supposed to do?

Whenever a site gives you a nag thing to turn off adblocker, just click "block element" and click in the darkened space. That will usually remove the nag message + darkened space.

I just got a similar redirect... but this site gives me reason to want an ad blocker, then what am I supposed to do?

A good first step is to disable automatic redirects in your browser: How Do I Stop Links From Redirecting Me to Different Sites? You will have to manually authorize each redirect, which causes a minor inconvenience for some applications, but the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement