A basic plot for my MMO game

Started by
7 comments, last by Duninn 7 years, 4 months ago

Hey,

I came up with this plot as a basis for my in-game story (which , in the end, should become pretty complex and solid, not just a "story", rather whole setting an world).

For now, there are no namings nor details, just a very basic ideas. But still, it would be great to hear any reviews/advices.

All happens in a common high-magic fantasy theme (humans, elves, orcs, dwarves and so on).

There are 2 main factions: "Arrived" and "Natives" (explained below).

(pre-story)

There were one world (World1) where multiple races exists. In that world, a great war started. In the end, after a long war, there was some kind of magical cataclysm because of the war, so planet will be destroyed.

Those races found a way to open crossworlds portals and move all people to the other world (World2, the main world of the game).

(Those whole faction will be “Arrived”)

World2 was looked uninhabited at first and very nice place to live. After some time, when Arrived started to build cities and so on, someone severely attacked them, destroyed one of their cities. No one knows who.

They started to explore nearby lands and finally have found other faction, at more-less same level of the civilization, probably just a bit wider lands. (“Natives”)

Arrived decided that those guys attacked them and perform a retaliatory strike, destroyed their city as well.

The new war started between those factions.

After a while, someone discovered that the Natives did not attacked first. Those 2 races made peace, but disliked each other (it’s obvious, because of war). So, both factions started to look who has made the first attack to pit those 2 factions.

(Here is the game begins, actually)

So, the main story quest for players is to find who was the attackers (probably, it’s a 3rd race - Demons).

Probably, those Demons are living in some kind of other dimension.

Probably, they are started the war in the World1 as well, the same way as they wanted to make the war in World2.

What do you think about such plot?

Advertisement

So it'll more-or-less be set in stone that there are three factions (at the very least) and inter-dimensional shenanigans. Honestly, this seems like a slightly interesting idea, but you're going to have to flesh these ideas out a lot more and perhaps give us some sort of plot diagram before you can get any REALLY insightful advice. But let me ask: what is the significance of the Arrived having come from another dimension and not from the same planet? As of right now it seems to have no implications on how the Arrived/Natives interact with each other and the only reason they get into a war to begin with is because of an unknown third-party. Hell, you could also say that the Demons just came from another part of the same planet if the planet is fairly large.

If you have reasons for why you want them to come from another dimension SPECIFICALLY, then you'll have to give us some (Context is important). In addition to that, stories in games are often heavily influenced by the game's genre and vice-versa. Telling us the genre and potential ideas for mechanics will help out a lot as well.

Hell, you could also say that the Demons just came from another part of the same planet if the planet is fairly large

Well, yes. The point is that both parties (Arrived and Natives) didn't know about each other, and since they had pretty advanced civilizations (in magic path) they probably could discovered each other if they was on the same planet. Also let's don't forget – actually, it's not just 2 civilizations, rather each faction was consisted of several independent races.

And it's always looks more epic in case of destroyed worlds and so on :-)

But it could be a bit overkill since there are no plans to touch any inter-dimensions stuff (except kicking ass to the Demons in some future).

About more context – it's not yer ready and all I have just a basic beginning. The game is high-magic fantasy MMO with more-less classic stuff.

BTW, which diagram did you mentioned? Can you post any example?

I shouldn't have said diagram--I meant paradigm, my bad. But here's an example:

Screen+Shot+2014-02-12+at+10.11.08+AM.pn

Source Site: http://allisonbruning.blogspot.com/2014/02/prewriting-using-syd-fields-paradigm-to.html

You don't have to follow it exactly, it just helps with structuring.

I shouldn't have said diagram--I meant paradigm, my bad. But here's an example:

Ah, I see. Well, anyway for now I have only this "Setup" part which just a pre-story for the game. Not yet sure about how it will continue in game.

The main point from the gameplay/mechanics is that this main quest storyline will be unique for the game world (while we're talking about MMO game).

The only single player could complete it and after such completion, a major game update should appears.

But it's a different topic, I guess, since not directly related to the story itself.

What's the demons' motivation?

One possibility: The demons secretly provided the magic for the cataclysmic spell. They neglected to share the cancellation spell. Their strategy is to frighten powerful magical beings off their world and then cancel the spell at the last second and invade the abandoned world. Perhaps they are physically powerful and have some innate powers (interdimensional travel), but lack magic. So they steal the magical technologies of other beings.

That could leave an expansion where the players can return to a demon controlled world A, filled with massive cities torn by war, abandoned, and then looted and populated by demons.

Won't lie man, the basic premise is similar to WoWs. Destroyed planet due to magic, fleeing civilization encounters and battles new natives.

However, the difference could be what magic power destroys the world, and if it is related to the faction that fled like wow is, or perhaps the power that destroyed the world is also the u Forseen force that caused the hostilities between the other two factions. Game could revolve around discovering this unseen force and motives.

However, you will need more to stand out as well. For example, the Arrived faction could be made up of Humans, orcs, and other primitive races. Maybe because their lack of magical knowledge they were unable to see the true face of evil, but the Natives on the other hand are more magical races and perhaps have encountered it before.

Basically, you need something to set you apart from other games. However, this is perhaps in the story you have yet to reveal. But it needs a stark difference or to me the story is wow clonish. Not trying to be hard, but realistic.

Another idea, maybe a good twist is that it wasn't demons, perhaps a futuristic hidden cult that drove these two factions to the same world and co Flickr just for the purpose of uniting them later against a bigger hidden threat. Basically a necessary evil that exist to achieve the greater good twist.

the basic premise is similar to WoWs

Yeah, I've realized this only recently and was surprised how close my idea to the initial warcraft plot (didn't even thought about this before, and I'm not a big warcraft/wow fan)...

Thanks for you advice, I've also thought about splitting available races between 2 factions, while I don't really like this idea – since this is for game, I'd prefer to have mostly similar factions, with minor/cosmetic difference. A kind of just different countries on the real Earth – all have the same humans, but still it's different countries, with different politics and so on.

For now, I'm not sure about how this plot will grow, but I like the idea about such twist! It make more sense than just an evil race of world destroyers, and allow to introduce new big goal for players. Just need to think what exactly is the bigger threat than :)

No problem, and hope it helps. If you ever want someone to bounce ideas off of just let me know. Currently working on my own mmo honestly. Has some similarities to your ideas as well. If ever need to talk hit me up here or in steam, same name.

Ya I think Such a twist definitely keeps players engaged and surprised, also allowing for future content down the road.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement