Staring animal characters.

Started by
13 comments, last by Servant of the Lord 7 years, 4 months ago

I don't know :-/

spyro_the_dragon_render_by_nibroc_rock-d

Advertisement

"Non-humanoid"... kind of excludes anthropomorphs...

These aren't mutually exclusive. Any non-humanoid that presents traits such as significant emotion is considered, by definition, an anthropomorphic character. If you're looking for non-anthropomorphic AND non-humanoid characters - then these are pretty hard to find in stories, as humans tend to not be emotionally invested with things that don't share the same level of emotion that we can convey.

Yes, they "aren't" mutually exclusive, anthropomorph "can" refer to intellectual traits, but clearly doesn't here.

The subject is rather clear.

Banjo and Khazooie stars an anthro bear, and an arguably non-anthro bird. Ditto for Yooka-Laylee (anthro chameleon, non-anthro bat) made by the same core devs.

If you want purely non-anthro, you'll run out really quickly, and have to reach toward indie games like Shelter (or Half-life 1 mod, Cat-Life :lol:).

Though, for more mainstream, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess has you play roughly half the game as a non-anthro wolf (Link changes back and forth, but is often stuck in wolf form).

But this is an issue that is common to most forms of media. I can name on one hand how many books I'm familiar with with non-anthro animals; Jungle Book and Watership Down*, for example - Oh, and Raptor Red, and Redwall Abbey, though I haven't read those two. Now compare that to the tens of thousands of books starring human protagonists; even Jungle Book's protagonist is a human.

* Read if you haven't. And if you have, read it again - it's worth it. :P

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement