Sign in to follow this  
robtf

New game engine

Hi,

I have a Sonic the Hedgehog game engine named the "SpikeBall" engine I'd like to share with the community. You can find it at;

It's a completely open source 2D engine of my own design, written in C# (greatly influenced by my years on the modding scene of various games) with player control based on the Sonic Physics guide with working character movement, loops, ramps, monitors, bridges etc. The engine is fully extensible to new object types and it is also cross platform.

Someone could use it to build a fan game, a brand new game or it would allow someone so inclined to create one of those "HD remakes" as the engine is not tied to screen resolution or sprite sizes. Maps are easily edited using the Tiled map editor.

The engine has quite a lot of functionality but is also fairly simple and does not use any game development frameworks such as Unity, so it might be useful for someone who wishes to learn the basics of how these kinds of games work.

Screen shots (as well as the code of course!) are available on the Github page.

I'm interested to hear opinions and whether anyone would like to contribute.

thanks,

Rob 

The player movement in this engine works basically the same way as the original games so you'd definitely be able to get a feel for how that stuff works. If you have any questions feel free to get in touch.

Sign in to follow this