I need English speakers' advice for my game's title.

Started by
17 comments, last by BBeck 7 years, 4 months ago

Poser Heroes seems best to me too.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement

So based on what you've said, your translation is pretty much direct from Spanish to English. That doesn't quite work very well, mainly because English doesn't really have a comparative that works that way. The Spanish comparative and superlatives function quite differently. The title functions very well in Spanish because of the way the grammar functions there.

In general, Spanish allows you to make comparatives out of things that really cannot be done in English. To translate más poseros to English, you'd probably get more posable, or the most posable. A direct translation of the title would be The Most Posable Heroes, but the problem is that you've lost a lot of the original meaning there, specifically the con artist meaning. That sounds more like a very articulate hero. What you want is to drop the superlative part and use only the poser heroes part. (En Ingles, podria ser algo como Heroes Poseros porque la traducción es mejor). To that effect

Heroes of Pose.

Heroes of the Pose.

Maybe add "The Great" or "The Greatest" to the beginning of the title.

I think that some of these could be good, based on what you've told us. Like I said, there's no direct translation from Spanish to English, so the best we can do is select some words that best represent what it is that you wanted to express.

Maybe just call it Poser Heroes?

This is the best one I think, based on my knowledge of Spanish and what you've told us. I would stick with this.

EDIT: My Spanish isn't superb, I haven't practiced much recently, so if something is off, feel free to point it out.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Think this a great idea. It is short and to the point!

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

So based on what you've said, your translation is pretty much direct from Spanish to English. That doesn't quite work very well, mainly because English doesn't really have a comparative that works that way. The Spanish comparative and superlatives function quite differently. The title functions very well in Spanish because of the way the grammar functions there.

In general, Spanish allows you to make comparatives out of things that really cannot be done in English. To translate más poseros to English, you'd probably get more posable, or the most posable. A direct translation of the title would be The Most Posable Heroes, but the problem is that you've lost a lot of the original meaning there, specifically the con artist meaning. That sounds more like a very articulate hero. What you want is to drop the superlative part and use only the poser heroes part. (En Ingles, podria ser algo como Heroes Poseros porque la traducción es mejor). To that effect

Heroes of Pose.

Heroes of the Pose.

I think that some of these could be good, based on what you've told us. Like I said, there's no direct translation from Spanish to English, so the best we can do is select some words that best represent what it is that you wanted to express.

This is the best one I think, based on my knowledge of Spanish and what you've told us. I would stick with this.

EDIT: My Spanish isn't superb, I haven't practiced much recently, so if something is off, feel free to point it out.

Eh, if you really wanted to include the concept of "most" in English, the way to do it would be to use a word like "super" or "extreme", e.g. Super Poser Heroes or Extreme Poser Heroes. But, personally I don't think that adds anything to the title. Sounds like a sequel.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Heroes of Pose.

Heroes of the Pose.

Eh, if you really wanted to include the concept of "most" in English, the way to do it would be to use a word like "super" or "extreme", e.g. Super Poser Heroes or Extreme Poser Heroes. But, personally I don't think that adds anything to the title. Sounds like a sequel.

Certainly I agree. That's the reason I didn't advise using Super or Extreme, because it takes away from the original meaning imo.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

a few more ideas:

"I Want to be a Poser!"

"Posers Save The Day"

"Our Hero The Poser"

"The Great Poser Adventure"

Thank you all for chipping in.

I guess I'll use "Poser Heroes" as its pretty similar to my original title, and also to not create too much confusion if somebody already knows about the game.

"Poser" is a common mis-spelling of "poseur", which in English has some pretty negative connotations and can actually be used as an insult. Unless your game actually is about poseurs, I would honestly avoid that title entirely and go with something totally different.

If you do want to keep that connotation, the phrasing I would use might be something like "Poseur Heroes." If you want to keep the general meaning of "someone pretending to be a hero" without the insulting connotations of "poseur", you could go with "Posing as Heroes."

This is what I wanted to say. Poseur or Poser, has the connotation of someone faking something. Meaning all of your heroes are faking it and aren't actually heroes. And I'm pretty sure that's not the idea you're going for.

This word is problematic and I wouldn't use it in a title. People will misunderstand this.

Good artistic translations can be tricky. It's not uncommon at all that when song or movie titles are moved to a different culture, they need to completely rethink the name. What works well in one language and culture may not work at all in another.

What you probably need to do is forget about the title for a moment and tell us the concept of the name. What is the idea you are trying to convey in it's most complicated form? With more information about all the ideas you are trying to put in the title, people can offer better selections that are more likely to match the idea. This may require a very large change.

Take for example these Spanish movie titles that seem ridiculous in English.

http://on-the-couch.com/home/the-5-worst-english-spanish-movie-title-translations/

I'm sure in Spanish they make sense. In English they do not. But then again, the English titles are probably terrible in Spanish. So there is a need for drastic changes in the title even though it's the same movie.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement