How to create a 2d character turning his head animation?

Started by
2 comments, last by kburkhart84 7 years, 4 months ago

Hi,

I'm learning to create a 2d character animation for games. I've seen some tutorial where we use skeletal animation to move images and create several frame to create an animation.

But, for an animation where the character will turn his head, I don't think I can use the same head image as the character turning his head.

What is usually done to create a character turning his head animation? Do we need to create multiple head images? With each image drawn from scratch?

Advertisement

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you're using skeletal animation to "move images", but for a head-turning animation you will need to have multiple images of the character's head drawn from at varying angles. I'm not sure what program you're working with (Spine maybe?) but if you could show us some screenshots, that'd help. You might have to draw each frame from scratch, but if you're using a program like Photoshop you can use onion-skin to make sure all of your frames are still in proportion.

As for what I mean when I say "multiple images of the character's head drawn from at varying angles", here's a reference:

head_turn_by_yukas_armstrong-d61nd4s.png

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you're using skeletal animation to "move images", but for a head-turning animation you will need to have multiple images of the character's head drawn from at varying angles. I'm not sure what program you're working with (Spine maybe?) but if you could show us some screenshots, that'd help. You might have to draw each frame from scratch, but if you're using a program like Photoshop you can use onion-skin to make sure all of your frames are still in proportion.

As for what I mean when I say "multiple images of the character's head drawn from at varying angles", here's a reference:

head_turn_by_yukas_armstrong-d61nd4s.png

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. It really answers my question.

Yes, one of the challenge for me I believe that if I re-draw the head in different angles, would those drawings will still be in proportion with each other?

This onion-skin feature interests me, but I use Inkscape to draw, is there any similar feature in Inkscape? Anyway, I will try to Google it too..

Thanks.

I don't think Inkscape offers such a feature. And yes, there are limits to what skeletal animation will do. This is one of those times where you will have to draw those frames yourself in some fashion. If you draw them in proportion, then they will be in proportion. One way to ensure this is put "test" lines. Draw a line where the top of the head is, and where the bottom is, and then a couple references for nose, mouth, ears, whatever you need. Then you can draw the other frames in the right proportion with those references.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement