How do you finish a game!

Started by
18 comments, last by SeraphLance 7 years, 4 months ago

Hey everyone,

This is my first post in the forums, but I have always wondered what it takes to complete a game with a small team. I always start out with a few guys and a great but when we get past the prototype stage. After we have a decent prototype, the project general slows to a grind and then eventually stops. The innovation stage is always so much fun! Any tips or tricks for getting through the more boring parts of game programming or development?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Persistence and endurance. Just plow through it. No other recipe. I mean, the game isn't going to finish itself.

With a small team, it's going to be a bit more difficult that now everybody has to persist through it -- unless you can pay them money.

I've heard it called the three ninety percents, plus the last 10% that really hurts.

You get your game "90%" finished, meaning you've done all the fun pieces. Some parts are hard, but it takes some time and is playable. You feel like the game is almost done. Hence it is the first 90%.

Then you get into the harder stuff and it feels like the game shifted into a different gear, fixing the major bugs and defects, polishing the things that need to be polished. It is much more difficult, and takes a long time. As you work through it you feel like the game is again almost done, and you progress how far along you are, until you are certain the game is again 90% done.

Then the gears shift again, and you get the really annoying nightmare bugs. Those stupid things you cannot find a way to fix but are critical to fix anyway. The game becomes something you hate rather than love. It becomes your nemesis, your arch enemy, your personal demon. You feel it is almost complete and again you reach the point you are sure it is almost done, approaching 90% and nearly complete.

Then gears shift again, you reach the point where you despair of ever finishing, where you feel the game is winning, instead of you building the game it is crushing your soul. Everyone pushes through and the product looks like it will finally be accepted by publishers, will pass the QA tests cleanly and you can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel. This is the final 10%, and you can sympathize with the original marathon runner who collapsed and died after shouting "Victory!"

Hobby games tend to stop somewhere during the first 90%. Finishing a game is difficult, and messy and stressful. Finishing the project requires discipline and passion.

There are good reasons that most professional game developers cannot, or will not, play the games they have made when they are released. Some people will wait months or years if they ever play the games they made. Quite a few movie stars and television stars express the same sentiment as game developers, and they too will often avoid or refuse to watch their productions after they are made.

The easy question is 'how', the harder question to answer is, 'why'. That is, why is it so difficult to finish a game? Well a lot of generalizations can be made. Family, work, lack of experience, lack of believe of eventual product success, all contribute, I feel, to a stark slimming of motivation, and morale of small dev teams.

However, all of these reasons pale in comparison to probably the most common reason, lack of time perspective. I've seen it with developers I work with, and I see it all over the web, very select developers have a true notion of TIME. Sure it's easy in the idea phase to throw out the most outlandish, and extravagant features/ideas as they come to you out on the table. But, it's not so easy when all of these ideas have to be polished from their conceptual form, and come fluently together to create a cohesive, and engaging gameplay experience, AND be developed relatively quickly, and accurately if you have a stringent time scope on the project (Nobody likes Scope creep).

I've seen it, even as a reclusive indie/hobbyist, very talented developers overestimate not their overall ability to do something, but their ability to do something within a period of time. Nothing is more demoralizing when the project was given a scope of 6 months, and the whole team is sitting on a broken/buggy build with half the features implemented (Maybe even implemented poorly) at month 13. And all the project needed from the beginning was somebody who said, "Stop, let's work with what we have".

This may not apply to you, or the team(s) you have worked with, but I've seen it enough to know it's a re-occurring issue with startups/indie teams.

Marcus Hansen

One way to keep the momentum is to release the fun prototype early, a vertical slice, to build a community, get feedback, exposure, and possibly even some funding. Or just aim for making a prototype from the get go instead of aiming to make a game. Or keep scaling the project down.

The easy question is 'how', the harder question to answer is, 'why'. That is, why is it so difficult to finish a game? Well a lot of generalizations can be made. Family, work, lack of experience, lack of believe of eventual product success, all contribute, I feel, to a stark slimming of motivation, and morale of small dev teams.

However, all of these reasons pale in comparison to probably the most common reason, lack of time perspective. I've seen it with developers I work with, and I see it all over the web, very select developers have a true notion of TIME. Sure it's easy in the idea phase to throw out the most outlandish, and extravagant features/ideas as they come to you out on the table. But, it's not so easy when all of these ideas have to be polished from their conceptual form, and come fluently together to create a cohesive, and engaging gameplay experience, AND be developed relatively quickly, and accurately if you have a stringent time scope on the project (Nobody likes Scope creep).

I've seen it, even as a reclusive indie/hobbyist, very talented developers overestimate not their overall ability to do something, but their ability to do something within a period of time. Nothing is more demoralizing when the project was given a scope of 6 months, and the whole team is sitting on a broken/buggy build with half the features implemented (Maybe even implemented poorly) at month 13. And all the project needed from the beginning was somebody who said, "Stop, let's work with what we have".

This may not apply to you, or the team(s) you have worked with, but I've seen it enough to know it's a re-occurring issue with startups/indie teams.

Marcus Hansen

This happens in AAA games too, if you dont make a plan at the beginning you will never get your time schedule in order. The worst thing to happen in a game is start the production phase without having a design in AAA because you are running behind already things cant move forward without a design.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

My few cents;
- make a plan, keep it realistic
- keep deliverables small
- small scope/ feature set if it's your (team's) first game
- stick to the plan, discipline, discipline and euhm, more discipline :)

Don't be the next MMORPG creator which will never see daylight.

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

Any tips or tricks for getting through the more boring parts of game programming or development?

You soldier through it.

There are a number of things you can do to avoid some of the pitfalls mentioned in this thread.

zero bug tolerance. build the game one piece at a time. complete each piece before moving on. design, code, debug, test, refactor if needed, cross it off the todo list. move it to the done list.

todo list driven production. everything goes on a prioritized todo list. your job is to grind though the list, closing issues.

keep project scope appropriate to team size and skills.

realistic time estimates. if you have't done this much, take a guess, then double it. If you think you might do it in 6 months, count on at least a year. the more you do estimates, then complete the work, the better you will get at making estimates. its a skill that seems to only be learn-able by experience.

know what to code (design), and how to code (implementation) BEFORE you touch a keyboard for code entry. By the time you start typing, you should already have the code worked out in your head, or on paper if sufficiently complex.

I have completed many games this way over the years including grand strategy games, racing games, tank sims, domino games, space fighter sims, strategy games, RPGs, starship sims, and arcade games.

Anything else you can do to alleviate boredom and maintain motivation levels will help as well. Short periods of high quality fun time seem to help break up the monotony of grinding through the todo list.

Its kind of like being in a long draw out war. morale of the team is very important if you are ever to reach your goal.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

The easiest answer is - you pay people.

I think the elephant in the room is that a lot of programmers enjoy programming for its own sake. They might enjoy exploring new technologies, solving problems, improving the code. What they are often not that interested in is getting to a point where they can stop doing those things. I know someone who's shipped many professional projects when employed by others, but who contributes to an open source game project that is still in alpha after about 10 years of development. Most of the team probably doesn't care about getting it out of the door for the final time.

If you want to move a project beyond the tinkering phase into the product phase then the team has to be willing to stop playing with the fun bits and dig into the boring bits - and there sadly is no magic trick to motivation. Maybe you can intersperse boring tasks with fun ones, and make sure everyone is sharing the tedium equally, but there's not much you can do beyond that if you're not paying people to work.

I've heard it called the three ninety percents, plus the last 10% that really hurts

I think part of this steams from the principle that once the game is 90% complete there is less awe about what it could be, due to the fact it has become, "What is this?"

The easiest answer is - you pay people.

Kylotan nailed a good point,

programmers enjoy programming for its own sake.

I like to program when there is a clear challenge. Someone hands me an impossible task and I find away to make things work. It isn't alway clean or 100% stable, but I am able to blaze the snowed pass. Now that the basic idea of how to make it work, it becomes more about cleaning it up and stabilizing it, which is not as fun.

You soldier through it.

While this can be the mindset or the idea, it often falls flat. Uninspired work is much slower, only increasing the current problem.

Any tips or tricks for getting through the more boring parts of game programming or development?

Personally, when the area of the project has slid into a grind feeling I switch to a different part of the game. It helps keep the code fresh in mind and allows me to feel inventive again.

Another tips some have hinted at is getting the game out to public. Maybe not as a released or even a demo, but some version of community building. Tweet a screenshot or build a website. Get people providing feedback and here is the key, engage back with them. Discuss your game and enlighten them why it is great. Maybe they help shape a feature that revives your creative spirit and pushes your development forward. Nothing helps more, I think, than having the project in the public eye, because it is much harder for the mind to simply walk away.

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement