Sign in to follow this  
cheryljohannes

Which engine to pick?

Hi All,

After making my first HTML5 game "Splix" - http://prtksxna.github.io/splix - I got a pretty good understanding of how games are made. I did not use any engine for this and the code base is pretty small. I want to make more games and I think it might make sense to use an engine for future games. I do have some limitations and requirements that I'll list below-

• Needs to be free or have a free trial (unlike ImpactJS)
  • I want an engine and not a Game Maker like Construct
  • Should be able to deploy to mobile using PhoneGap
  • Should be able to deploy to desktop using Node Webkit
  • Should be in active development (it becomes really hard otherwise)
  • Should have basic sprite/layer/screen/collision support

I know the list is too specific, but is there an engine that satisfies all this and I can use?

Most big engines like Unreal 4, Unity and CryEngine will allow you to deploy to mobile platforms and for web (WebGL).

Needs to be free or have a free trial

Both Unity, Unreal 4 and I believe CryEngine are free to develop and release a game with until you make a certain amount of income then you have to start paying royalties. In the case for Unity: "As long as you have an annual revenue capacity or funds raised capacity of less than $100k per fiscal year" - from the Unity Download page.

I want an engine and not a Game Maker like Construct

See the above, they are engines

Should be able to deploy to mobile using PhoneGap

These game engines can deploy to Android and iOS platforms, in this case, I'm not sure if you will need to use PhoneGap.

For Unreal 4 supported platforms see this link: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Platforms/

For Unity supported platforms: https://unity3d.com/unity/multiplatform

Should be able to deploy to desktop using Node Webkit

Again like mobile these engines will create an application for Windows and Linux, see the fill list of supported platforms on their sites. I link those above.

Should be in active development

Should be fine working with these engines.

Should have basic sprite/layer/screen/collision support

All these game engines support these.

It sounds like you wrote your game using JS with HTML 5? If this case using these engines you might need to uses other languages, as Unreal mostly uses C++ and/or Blueprints. Whereas Unity mostly uses C# but does support JavaScript (also called Unity Script).

I hope that helps.

Hi, I would recommend the godot engine. It's really easy to use and in active development. Godot is completly free and have support for Windows Linux Web and I believe mobile too. At moment, there is just a better 2d and less 3d support, but with the next major Version, godot will get a better 3d support.

You didn't state it explicitly, but this impies that you want to work in Javascript. Is this the case? If so, most of the engines that people on this site use will be ruled out, but there are still some options.

Unreal's 2D Papers side of the engine has a ton of power, but as [b]@[member='Kylotan'][/b], asked it will depend on language you are wanting to target.

UE4 would allow you to make most if not all of a game in jump Blueprints, a visual form of programing.

Most big engines like Unreal 4, Unity and CryEngine will allow you to deploy to mobile platforms and for web (WebGL).

Needs to be free or have a free trial

Both Unity, Unreal 4 and I believe CryEngine are free to develop and release a game with until you make a certain amount of income then you have to start paying royalties. In the case for Unity: "As long as you have an annual revenue capacity or funds raised capacity of less than $100k per fiscal year" - from the Unity Download page.

I want an engine and not a Game Maker like Construct

See the above, they are engines

Should be able to deploy to mobile using PhoneGap

These game engines can deploy to Android and iOS platforms, in this case, I'm not sure if you will need to use PhoneGap.

For Unreal 4 supported platforms see this link: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Platforms/

For Unity supported platforms: https://unity3d.com/unity/multiplatform

Again like mobile these engines will create an application for Windows and Linux, see the fill list of supported platforms on their sites. I link those above.

Should be in active development

Should be fine working with these engines.

Should have basic sprite/layer/screen/collision support

All these game engines support these.

It sounds like you wrote your game using JS with HTML 5? If this case using these engines you might need to uses other languages, as Unreal mostly uses C++ and/or Blueprints. Whereas Unity mostly uses C# but does support JavaScript (also called Unity Script).

I hope that helps.

I'm using JS and HTML5 for its noblest purpose: games, of course!

My immediate thought was to clone the audio elements, so I created the following tiny javascript library to do that for me (depends on jquery):

var Snd = {
  init: function() {
    $("audio").each(function() {
      var src = this.getAttribute('src');
      if (src.substring(0, 4) !== "snd/") { return; }
      // Cut out the basename (strip directory and extension)
      var name = src.substring(4, src.length - 4);
      // Create the helper function, which clones the audio object and plays it
      var Constructor = function() {};
      Constructor.prototype = this;
      Snd[name] = function() {
        var clone = new Constructor();
        clone.play();
        // Return the cloned element, so the caller can interrupt the sound effect
        return clone;
      };
    });
  }
};

Thanks for your support

Hi, I would recommend the godot engine. It's really easy to use and in active development. Godot is completly free and have support for Windows Linux Web and I believe mobile too. At moment, there is just a better 2d and less 3d support, but with the next major Version, godot will get a better 3d support.

I've been searching for this solution in Godot Forum with no luck!

I am able to play .ogv (Ogg Theora Video) file with VideoPlayer in godot internal editor, but unable to display it in the browser after importing project to html5 format.

There are a few HTML5 and JavaScript engines out there.  Check out GitHub there are a tone of open source projects that will fit this bill.  I've been reading a book that talks about this subject, you might want to check it out "Advanced Game Design with HTML5 and JavaScript".

The book has a decent explanation of making game engines and he provides the final code for his engine with the book.  The only major draw back I found with following his code and making my own engine was I ran into a MAJOR JavaScript ES6 to ES5 comparability issue.  He does talk a little bit about it but in the end I spend several days working on making my engine work in Safari for the Mac.  This is one major down side to using a browser to make games, there can be so many different bugs because browser vendors seem to never agree on features that should be included.