Need ideas of a fps monsters

Started by
3 comments, last by Norman Barrows 7 years, 5 months ago

Hi, everyone. I am a C++ programmer and I like an fps genre. I want to make a simple FPS game like a "Sauerbraten" and have some issues with a creativity when monsters creating. I would like to present a bit of irony and madness in the design of the monsters as in Painkiller.
Well I need the numerous weaknesses enemies ("soldiers"), the bit less stronger enemies, some heavyweight enemies on each of the levels like in Painkiller or Serious Sam.
Does somebody have any ideas?

Advertisement

I've had an idea. Not really up for programming it tho. So you're a Certified Nurse Assistant who slipped on an ice cube in a nursing home while performing the duties of your everyday profession. You wake up blurry eyed, and discombobulated to find the nursing home has been completely trashed, blood smears on the wall, and turned over furniture, and whatnot.
So you do some pawing around until you find the first sign of life. A grandma slowly inching around the corner with a walker. Her eyes are so red they glow, and illuminate her surroundings. Like a pair of two hot coals. Her teeth protrude out of her skull like a pinky demon on steroids. She still has her gown on. And still looks like a grandma, but far more demonic.
Think this, but, of course, much better:

http://imgur.com/a/jU5CN

So your enemies would consist of demonic grannies/grandpas, and the remaining demonic nursing home staff.
Here goes some render caps in D3D of what I was envisioning. (I used DAZ3D for the human. The nursing home I modeled)

http://imgur.com/a/VskxE

Marcus Hansen

I'm not familiar with Painkiller or Serious Sam, but normally a FPS is based on a specific premise that dictates the environments, objects, weapons and creatures found in it. For example, Doom is based on an invasion of demons and features appropriately demon-like creatures, plus reanimated human victims, in invaded space bases and urban environments and in "hell"; Half-Life is based on an alien invasion in an underground lab (with elevators, tunnels and mountain outdoors) and given its slower pace contains far stranger and creepier monsters than Doom, in addition to realistic human military units; the futuristic deathmatch arenas of Unreal Tournament contain only humans with badass gear.

So, what's the theme of your game? Referring to "irony" and "madness" is too vague, you need to find something mad and ironical with a range of creatures that includes credible heavyweight enemies.

For example, the game can be about reanimated guardians from ancient Egyptian tombs: archeologists or the like doing something stupid can be great fun, enemies are inhuman enough to allow a silly treatment, monster quantity can be reasonably large, appropriate environments include varied outdoors (rock, sand, pyramids, etc.) and any sort of underground tunnels, chambers, wells, traps etc. and enemies range from mice to various grades of human mummies to elephants (or elephant mummies), sorcerers and gods, all with arbitrary eldritch powers.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Character and level design really needs to begin 'somewhere', and be grown out from that point. So what exactly is your concept seed here?

LorenzoGatti brings up a good point about style and theme, but you can approach this from either side of the coin by starting from a pre-defined overarching theme - alien invasion of earth, or start with a few core design ideas and build a theme and style around that - random pigman character as a general grunt cannon fodder enemy, and building levels and other enemies around that core focal point character. Sometimes it is a mechanic idea, such as the portal gun from Portal.

To really offer help and suggestions, we really need a firm seed or idea to work from to be effective or offer ideas that actually mesh together.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

Whats the setting of your game?

time period?

location?

where does it fall on the scale of: historical vs fictional ?

where does it fall on the scale of: realism vs fantasy ?

that will dictate appropriate monster types.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement