• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Martin Perry

OpenGL Difference between Tiled Volume Resources & Sparse Volume Texture and sample code

This topic is 668 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have cam across these two terms in new DirectX - Tiled Volume Resources and Sparse volume texture.  From the descrition, they both seems same to me.. is this just another name for the same thing?

Another thing is, I am unable to find sample OpenGL code for either of technique. Is there some sample or some other name maybe?

Advertisement

They are the same just different names.

DirectX calls it 'Tiled resources' while OpenGL calls it 'Sparse textures' 

The volume part of the name indicates that you want tiled/space 3D textures. For DirectX this requires a different feature level (see here) while the OpenGL extension convers both 2D and 3D textures (see the spec and the followup extension spec)

I think the ogl sample pack has some sparse samples (not sure for 3D volumes) and tinySceneGraph has a good starting point

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!