Hello! New and seeking advice.

Started by
18 comments, last by WinterDragon 7 years, 4 months ago
Hey, been trying to get into game design and/or development for awhile but lacked the discipline. I am completely new to the subject and require guidance, but hopefully by telling you my strengths and weakness I can be pointed in the right direction.

Basically I want to create my own games or at least be in a team we can share ideas and work on them. My ideas range from 2D side scrollers to 3D open world mom's. I have no real background in programming languages, I am currently learning the basics of html and CSS, with Java script to follow for web design. However, I have messed with blender before and do like expressing my ideas for NPCs on it, but still very novice in it.

Basically, I have tons of creative ideas, most of which I write in pocket journals. I have no real hand drawing skills though, nor math skills. Basically I can only do basic math, so programming has always been hard for me to pick up due to the stigma you need math.

Like I said, I currently write game ideas down and start defining them in detail, mess with 3D modeling, and learning web design. Math is challenging to me so I don't know if I should pursue programming. I am definitely more in the creative side of fame development but need an avenue to practice on and a place to start.

All input is appreciated. If I don't pursue coding I frankly don't know where to begin. Though I do think funneling part of my insanity into story and characters design is worthwhile. I have a B.S. in sociology so far, willing to self teach other things
Advertisement

Hey, been trying to get into game design and/or development for awhile but lacked the discipline. I am completely new to the subject and require guidance, but hopefully by telling you my strengths and weakness I can be pointed in the right direction.

Basically I want to create my own games or at least be in a team we can share ideas and work on them. My ideas range from 2D side scrollers to 3D open world mom's. I have no real background in programming languages, I am currently learning the basics of html and CSS, with Java script to follow for web design. However, I have messed with blender before and do like expressing my ideas for NPCs on it, but still very novice in it.

Basically, I have tons of creative ideas, most of which I write in pocket journals. I have no real hand drawing skills though, nor math skills. Basically I can only do basic math, so programming has always been hard for me to pick up due to the stigma you need math.

Like I said, I currently write game ideas down and start defining them in detail, mess with 3D modeling, and learning web design. Math is challenging to me so I don't know if I should pursue programming. I am definitely more in the creative side of fame development but need an avenue to practice on and a place to start.

All input is appreciated. If I don't pursue coding I frankly don't know where to begin. Though I do think funneling part of my insanity into story and characters design is worthwhile. I have a B.S. in sociology so far, willing to self teach other things

Most people are probably going to tell you that you have to decide what you want to do before you can really start doing it. Do you want to code? Do you want to do art? Music? Level design? There are lots of game related professions out there(even if you do it as a hobby.)

Most people will also probably tell you the best way to try something is to just go try it. If you wanted to program you can always learn math at the same time you're learning coding, look things up when you get stuck. I've actually found coding is a good excuse to learn math you wouldn't otherwise want to, because it ends up being applied to a practical game problem instead of some theoretical physics problem. It's less interesting to figure out what time two trains will collide than it is to actually be able to make and see two trains collide.

Most stuff besides coding you can do without a team, there are plenty of websites out there that have free art and sound. Contribute to them, there's also tutorials and things. What is your goal? Do you just want to make games? Things like game maker are also an option.

Goal is to make games and doesn't have to be by myself. Perfect world I would like to write the game world and scripts, basically design the game and even contribute to world/ level design and characters. My fear however, is if I don't focus on learning it all I won't make anything, and by trying to focus in all aspects of a game I don't know where to start and can't learn anything.

Most people are probably going to tell you that you have to decide what you want to do before you can really start doing it. Do you want to code? Do you want to do art? Music? Level design? There are lots of game related professions out there(even if you do it as a hobby.)

Most people will also probably tell you the best way to try something is to just go try it. If you wanted to program you can always learn math at the same time you're learning coding, look things up when you get stuck. I've actually found coding is a good excuse to learn math you wouldn't otherwise want to, because it ends up being applied to a practical game problem instead of some theoretical physics problem. It's less interesting to figure out what time two trains will collide than it is to actually be able to make and see two trains collide.

Most stuff besides coding you can do without a team, there are plenty of websites out there that have free art and sound. Contribute to them, there's also tutorials and things. What is your goal? Do you just want to make games? Things like game maker are also an option.

Responded above

Goal is to make games and doesn't have to be by myself. Perfect world I would like to write the game world and scripts, basically design the game and even contribute to world/ level design and characters. My fear however, is if I don't focus on learning it all I won't make anything, and by trying to focus in all aspects of a game I don't know where to start and can't learn anything.

Well your options are to find people to work with or to start making something yourself. In my experience people are rather flimsy online, you might find some good folks to team up with but that isn't a guarantee, people often want you to show you can do something yourself too. It might be unfeasible to expect to have someone to work with on your first project.

If you don't particularly care to code then look into something like game maker. Unity is also an option, different engines offer different tools, prices, licenses, etc. I'm not going to suggest say, a coding library if you don't want to learn how to make things from scratch. Unless you want to do coding as a career you'll often make a decent product much faster with existing tools.

Think I should mess with cg cookie tutorials on unity then or use a program that gets rid of code all together and let's you connect 3d objects and apply behavior?
Math is challenging to me so I don't know if I should pursue programming.

Programming, yes. Game programming, No!

Try game design.

Math is challenging to me so I don't know if I should pursue programming.

Programming, yes. Game programming, No!

Try game design.

Just so I get a better idea, what aspects entail game design? Just trying to find a start point that interests me most.

Check if you can find "The art of game design: A book of lenses" and read some chapters. I promise you will want to read more.

But of course your game needs to be realistic. Nobody wants to play a game on paper.

Check if you can find "The art of game design: A book of lenses" and read some chapters. I promise you will want to read more.

But of course your game needs to be realistic. Nobody wants to play a game on paper.

I was actually looking into getting that book today, swear to god. My first two game ideas are starting simple, both 2d platform games, like shovel Knight. Have the story of both done and gameplay style in mind as well.

Think I can make a shovel knightish game with a program like game maker or have to know code?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement