Hello! New and seeking advice.

Started by
18 comments, last by WinterDragon 7 years, 4 months ago

Think I can make a shovel knightish game with a program like game maker or have to know code?

Of course you can.

Although game maker lets you use scripts as well.
Advertisement
Well at this point I may forgoe learning code to focus on the creative aspects tbh. I know math really isn't my thing and I really rather focus on creating immersion and story. While possibly learning more 3d design and maybe pixel art. Shovel Knight was pixel art, I think, so maybe I can learn that aspect to create sprites
Any idea where to begin if ignoring code side haha?

Read some FAQs in The Creative Side side of the forum, perhaps: http://www.gamedev.net/forum/124-the-creative-side/

Most people are probably going to tell you that you have to decide what you want to do before you can really start doing it. Do you want to code? Do you want to do art? Music? Level design? There are lots of game related professions out there(even if you do it as a hobby.)

I think it is very healthy to test out all areas before you decide to settle on a single mastery. Additionally, just because you find that your talents or passion is in art or coding it doesn't mean this is the only area you can work it. Most likely you will find that you get more done faster or with better results in the areas you enjoy.

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

Most people are probably going to tell you that you have to decide what you want to do before you can really start doing it. Do you want to code? Do you want to do art? Music? Level design? There are lots of game related professions out there(even if you do it as a hobby.)

I think it is very healthy to test out all areas before you decide to settle on a single mastery. Additionally, just because you find that your talents or passion is in art or coding it doesn't mean this is the only area you can work it. Most likely you will find that you get more done faster or with better results in the areas you enjoy.

I mean if I go off of that I don't particularly enjoy coding tbh, I like art, I do enjoy music but know nothing about it whatsoever ever. Maybe it helps to point out I actually co sider a select few video games to be art. Same time I enjoy stories and I often daydream stories and have a few milestones devoured to writing ideas.

I even have made a card game I need to finish making the rules for, something I wanted to do as well.

I myself am a novice programmer (python) but an experienced (amateur) designer and writer.

I wasn't good at maths before I started programming, I leaned more towards English in school.

But when I was 11 I started programming and so when maths became serious with algebra at 13 I found it easy and aced it in the exam.

ie programming can actually improve your maths aptitude, rather than being that you have to be good at maths to start coding.

Have you tried Construct? - I hear it's easy to learn and it's based around your web interests.

Python is way easier than the C series which require alot of advanced mathematical concept learning.

But I'm not really one to suggest a language - it's taken me a long time decide on one.

I think if you feel you need to code to get a leg up, just do what's closest to what you are already doing.

I've got experience working with teams, basically if you write, you can feasibly join a team on the strength of that.

But usually you won't be the designer and you'll have to do alot of gun-for-hire stuff that may irk you.

Writers are not as widely respected in indie development as coders, artists or money-men.

the best gig I had was Assistant Producer on an adventure game, on the strength of my writing - but it was never finished and the team disbanded.

You may find that art gives you an in road - then you can start doing some of your own things.

However, doing it all yourself until you can hire people to do the things you can't do - like 3D, or better artists, better coders, music, sound, video, marketing, may give you more freedom to do your own thing.

warning - I'm an amateur game developer right now, so there are people on here who can give you advice, who have a bit more experience.

Also you could talk to some people who are interested in developing digital card games - that's a pretty cool area, but very complex. Take a look at LackeyCCG.

http://polydina.com

I myself am a novice programmer (python) but an experienced (amateur) designer and writer.
I wasn't good at maths before I started programming, I leaned more towards English in school.
But when I was 11 I started programming and so when maths became serious with algebra at 13 I found it easy and aced it in the exam.
ie programming can actually improve your maths aptitude, rather than being that you have to be good at maths to start coding.
Have you tried Construct? - I hear it's easy to learn and it's based around your web interests.
Python is way easier than the C series which require alot of advanced mathematical concept learning.
But I'm not really one to suggest a language - it's taken me a long time decide on one.
I think if you feel you need to code to get a leg up, just do what's closest to what you are already doing.

I've got experience working with teams, basically if you write, you can feasibly join a team on the strength of that.
But usually you won't be the designer and you'll have to do alot of gun-for-hire stuff that may irk you.
Writers are not as widely respected in indie development as coders, artists or money-men.

the best gig I had was Assistant Producer on an adventure game, on the strength of my writing - but it was never finished and the team disbanded.

You may find that art gives you an in road - then you can start doing some of your own things.
However, doing it all yourself until you can hire people to do the things you can't do - like 3D, or better artists, better coders, music, sound, video, marketing, may give you more freedom to do your own thing.

warning - I'm an amateur game developer right now, so there are people on here who can give you advice, who have a bit more experience.

Also you could talk to some people who are interested in developing digital card games - that's a pretty cool area, but very complex. Take a look at LackeyCCG.

What is construct exactly?
Nvm, a game building system on steam, found it. My book arrives today so I will actually be reading for once, and probably come back when I am a little more enlightened

https://www.scirra.com/construct2 - it uses html5 which is relevant to your web interests.

http://polydina.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement