Sign in to follow this  
JackOfCandles

Which Gamepads To Support?

I have a Logitech wireless gamepad which I'm using as I add gamepad support to my game, but there is of course no guarantee which gamepad the user might have. My initial idea was to prompt for configuration on startup if a gamepad is detected. I'd really prefer an "It just works" solution, however, for user convenience and because I have a specific input configuration which I believe would be the most comfortable to use that I'd like to be the default. The only way I can think of to achieve this would be to have a list of gamepads which are supported out of the box, and have a pre-configured input map. Anything else would have to use the prompt for configuration solution.

So I'm wondering which gamepads I should support. I'm willing to spend some money to buy a few more gamepads, but I don't want to go crazy buying every generic gamepad that's out there. Has anyone else had to handle this scenario? Which gamepads did you support?

The XBox One controller would be my first pick to support, partly because they are natively supported on Windows, and partly because they ship one with the Oculus Rift. After that the PS4 gamepad and the Steam controller are both pretty popular these days.

Also, if your game contains flight of any sort... people really appreciate support for the major joystick or HOTAS setups.

Also many controllers support XInput (Xbox style). I have a logitech controller but that is XInput so just works with any game that support XBox controllers. It is almost the defacto standard on Windows imho