• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
JackOfCandles

Which Gamepads To Support?

This topic is 653 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a Logitech wireless gamepad which I'm using as I add gamepad support to my game, but there is of course no guarantee which gamepad the user might have. My initial idea was to prompt for configuration on startup if a gamepad is detected. I'd really prefer an "It just works" solution, however, for user convenience and because I have a specific input configuration which I believe would be the most comfortable to use that I'd like to be the default. The only way I can think of to achieve this would be to have a list of gamepads which are supported out of the box, and have a pre-configured input map. Anything else would have to use the prompt for configuration solution.

So I'm wondering which gamepads I should support. I'm willing to spend some money to buy a few more gamepads, but I don't want to go crazy buying every generic gamepad that's out there. Has anyone else had to handle this scenario? Which gamepads did you support?

Advertisement
Which input library do you use? XInput? DirectInput? Raw Input?

With DirectInput and Raw Input you pretty much have to have a input mapping configuration for the end user. Edited by Endurion

Which input library do you use? XInput? DirectInput? Raw Input?

With DirectInput and Raw Input you pretty much have to have a input mapping configuration for the end user.

I am using SDL2 for input.

It would be a fairly big undertaking to support every type of gamepad, I generally support Xinput for gamepads as it's easy to work with and integrate with work with SDL2.

I would say that most windows users, if they have a game pad, probably have some sort of Xbox controller.

This is based on a completely unscientific sampling of me and my gaming mates.

XBox 360, XBox One, Ps4 Gamepad and Steam Controller are the ones people have cared about on PC when i have been working with gamepads controls.  

Edited by Spinningcubes

The XBox One controller would be my first pick to support, partly because they are natively supported on Windows, and partly because they ship one with the Oculus Rift. After that the PS4 gamepad and the Steam controller are both pretty popular these days.

Also, if your game contains flight of any sort... people really appreciate support for the major joystick or HOTAS setups.

Also many controllers support XInput (Xbox style). I have a logitech controller but that is XInput so just works with any game that support XBox controllers. It is almost the defacto standard on Windows imho

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!