Swift - Love it or Hate it?

Started by
6 comments, last by Navyman 7 years, 4 months ago

Swift - Apple's new programming language has developed over the years and while there have been some growing pains between updates I have found it a much smoother method of creating apps.

There are a few minor pains that I have found to not agree with, but I would like to hear some other options.

Example Issue:

The removal of ++ & -- because they are too C++ like.

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

Advertisement

Would you recommend any books on Swift and graphics?

Don't hate it but dislike it. Been developing iOS apps since 2008. All my colleagues are die hard apple fan boys who think anything created by the mothership must be genius but, I've used lots of other languages and can see where Swift has tried to take inspiration.

It's neat, I like it. I find bridging between C++ to be more cleanly and easily accomplishing with Objective-C(++) still, though, so I don't end up using as much Swift as I'd like on any sort of mixed-language project.

It's neat, I like it. I find bridging between C++ to be more cleanly and easily accomplishing with Objective-C(++) still, though, so I don't end up using as much Swift as I'd like on any sort of mixed-language project.

Is that possible then? I'd always assumed that choosing Swift meant choosing not to use C++ in any way, so had completely rejected it as an option.

Is that possible then? I'd always assumed that choosing Swift meant choosing not to use C++ in any way, so had completely rejected it as an option.

The same way you can do it for any other language, thanks to an amazing technology from the 1960s: The Linker.

Programs are built from all kinds of libraries, archives, or modules, depending on how things are named. All the libraries get linked together into the final executable. It doesn't matter if the libraries were built in Swift, C++, C, Assembly, Fortran, or anything else, but they all follow a basic naming system and parameter-passing system and other rules that form a common interface. As long as all the code was compiled to match the same interface -- called the application binary interface -- all the parts will work together.

Although the interface actually predates C, it is often called a C-style linkage or extern "c" or similar.

Swift calls it a "Bridging Header". Google finds this little example among many.

Don't hate it but dislike it.

Where do you dislikes about Swift steam from?

Would you recommend any books on Swift and graphics?

I learned Swift mostly from youtube videos and forum questions.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement