Learning C++11

Started by
44 comments, last by taby 7 years, 4 months ago
The mouseover thing has been the case since the inception of auto. Mousing over any variable in VS should show its fully deduced type.

Only in IDEs that support it.

If the only way to know the true type of things is to play peek-a-boo with the variable as it hovers over the mouse which works only in editors that have access to the full source tree, that's a problem. What happens if you need to edit a file and you don't have all the source conveniently available so it is improperly deduced? What if you are editing code in a tool that doesn't support the feature?

There are plenty of times I will pull up Notepad++ or similar text editors to quickly edit source code, and if I run across a function that uses autos for nearly everything I am going to be far less productive than if I could see the actual type.

As for where to use it... For types that are difficult to put together or long to type, like iterators to containers with template parameters, that is generally a good reason. Lambdas obviously require them in several situations. But typing "auto" instead of "int" is worse than just lazy because it is an extra character. It is a longer word AND it obfuscates the type.

Advertisement

There are plenty of times I will pull up Notepad++ or similar text editors to quickly edit source code, and if I run across a function that uses autos for nearly everything I am going to be far less productive than if I could see the actual type.

I feel like this is generally true for anything, not just auto. IDEs are a force multiplier for productivity.

Text editors that can search one file can find some things.

Text editors that can search multiple files can find more hits.

IDEs that actually parse things can figure out where the definition is.

Better IDEs can find all semantic references to the same symbol without finding things that are just named the same but are part of a different type.

Still better IDEs can refactor code using even more advanced pattern matching.

I agree... auto hides the meaning of the code. I'll avoid it generally.

The choices shouldn't be:

• Avoid it almost everywhere
    or
  • Use it almost everywhere

The smart thing is to learn when to use it, and use it in those situations, but not in other situations where using could problems.

Almost everything in C++ has "don't use it" situations and "use it here" situations.

But less-experienced programmers often simplify that to, "Never use X!" or "Use X everywhere!" rather than, you know, actually learning. :wink:

I agree learning when to use it should be the end goal, but I can also imagine that you park it for some time, until you have a firmer grasp of the other new things.

Python was my first language that was reference-based, and it was mighty scary, so many new things at the same time. I decided to ignore sharing of data at first, and recomputed the new value for each variable from scratch every single time. While it cost performance, there were so many other things I needed to wrap my head around at the time, it made sense to me to postpone handling sharing as well.

As I got more confident in all the other concepts of the language, I started experimenting with less full recomputing (that is, use references in the code). Moved a bit too far, and reverted a step to eventually end up at the point where I am now, which seems to agree with how many other Python coders work.

Here's how to generate a pseudorandom double. Much easier than including the Mersenne Twister header and cpp file.

#include <random>
#include <iostream>

using std::random_device;
using std::mt19937;
using std::uniform_real_distribution;

using std::cout;
using std::endl;

int main()
{
    random_device rd;
    mt19937 gen(rd());
    uniform_real_distribution<double> dis(0, 1);
    for (int n = 0; n < 10; ++n) {
        cout << dis(gen) << ' ';
    }
    cout << endl;
}

Does anyone know how to seed the pseudorandom number generator?

First Google hit for 'std::mt19937' is this: http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/numeric/random/mersenne_twister_engine

On there is a link to the seed function: http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/numeric/random/mersenne_twister_engine/seed

Thanks Kylotan!!

A lot of the C++11 syntax wouldn't compile on my Mac (using clang++) unless I add the -std=c++11 -stdlib=libc++ command line options. Glad to have figured that one out. Some code only works if I use g++.

Only in IDEs that support it.

Yeah, I meant that in VS specifically it's been the case in previous versions.

Does anyone know how to seed the pseudorandom number generator?

I usually use

std:mt19937 mt(std::random_device{}()); //keep this around (one per thread) - it's expensive to construct

//then
std::uniform_int_distribution<int> dist(0, 100); //make as many of these as you like - they're cheap
int val = dist(mt);
void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement