How does this ever work.

Started by
13 comments, last by fastcall22 6 years, 8 months ago
This is my favorite (read: least favorite) thing from the past couple of weeks.

It occurs only when running under Application Verifier, which is annoying, because it's masking another bug that I want to catch using AppVerifier, but I can't, because this crash starts happening first.

Here's the lovely code responsible (only slightly paraphrased):

ImportantHandle::ImportantHandle (void * rawData, unsigned sizeOfData) {
    if (sizeOfData) {
        this->ImportantPointer = rawData;
        // Plus some inconsequential stuff
    }
}

Spot the bug!

That's right: if you pass in a zero-size "blob", you get an undefined (aka. garbage) value in your ImportantPointer. What could go wrong!!!

The saddest part is, this is just one of many bugs in the program in question. Sometimes, it will just freeze in an infinite loop trying to reacquire a lost DirectX device, failing, and trying again without changing any state.

Other times, it'll crash in random areas with heap corruption - the bug I'm trying to chase - but not reliably, without AppVerifier. And of course AV causes it to barf in a dozen other creative ways instead.

It really is a minor miracle that I'm not yet bald.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Advertisement

It really is a minor miracle that I'm not yet bald.

My theory is that our hair has evolved to use blinding rage as a growth medium.
This code is a total gold mine.

Just found a place where we allocate N bytes, then placement-new an object of < N bytes into the buffer. No big deal, except we then access the buffer as if it were an object of... N bytes.

If you run with the debug allocator, the N bytes are zero-initialized. If you run under appverifier (or in Release, you know, just like you would for any software that's to be... released) the space between the small overlay object and the remainder of the N-byte buffer is garbage.

by 'if(sizeOfData)', did you mean 'if(rawData)'?

i.e. you were checking that the pointer wasn't null, but not that it was of non-zero size?

No.

FWIW I've worked 4 years in a very high stress position and went bald in my mid/late 20's. It's not so bad.

Sounds like you need to re-implement whatever was being tried there.

FWIW I've worked 4 years in a very high stress position and went bald in my mid/late 20's. It's not so bad.

That's why I'm not looking forward to any promotions. I just want to remain yet-another-programmer.

Here's a juicy tidbit for posterity:

When running under Application Verifier, calls to HeapAlloc with the HEAP_ZERO_MEMORY flag will lie to you silently and return you NON-ZEROED pages.

This means that if you have any behavior relying on HEAP_ZERO_MEMORY, it will start blowing up in spectacular ways under AppVerifier. For extra fun, make sure the expected-to-be-zero data is used as a bitfield, preferably one indicating what array members are valid.

Days like this make me wish I had the discipline necessary to learn a completely different profession.

Have you considered using Dr.Memory? This is basically a comprehensive (read as: no WTF) alternative to Valgrind with some extras which also works under Windows. I've found it to be immensely, stunningly helpful.

Although strange "dunno why" crashes where I cannot immediately pinpoint the reason are kinda rare for me (luckily, not having to deal with someone else's code of such a kind as the one you posted!), whenever they do happen, Dr.Memory's output looks something like:

15 possible errors (but probably false positive), see possible-blahblah.log
1 possible leak (but probably harmless), see possible-blahblah.log
2 leaks, blah blah, see blah. log
1 error in line source.cpp, line 12345 : blah blah

crash in blah.exe at 12345678 : blubb.cpp line 456789, accessing blah, 2 bytes

5 system handles not closed, blah blah, see blah.log

... which basically means 2 minutes spent fixing it, not 2 days. No PhD needed to decipher the output either.

by 'if(sizeOfData)', did you mean 'if(rawData)'?

i.e. you were checking that the pointer wasn't null, but not that it was of non-zero size?

I think the check was that if the size is zero, then the data doesn't exist (hence no pointer is needed).

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement