Working with a team.

Started by
9 comments, last by Josheir 7 years, 3 months ago

Hello, I was feeling well reviewing and studying for Spring/Summer to get a job in game or regular programming (C++.) And then it dawned on me that maybe I should know about debugging with a team. I haven't done any networking to debug with a team either. So my question is this : Do I need knowledge of debugging/networking with a group for example using the same code function, etc. to get a junior level programming job? Do I need to prepare for this in some way or is it taught to a junior on the job?

Thank you,

JoshuaE

Advertisement

Do I need knowledge of debugging/networking with a group for example using the same code function, etc. to get a junior level programming job?

Having this knowledge would be a bonus, but I have not seen it require for the bulk of posts.

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

Having this knowledge would be a bonus, but I have not seen it require for the bulk of posts.

I'm sorry Navyman, what do you mean "for the bulk of posts?"

Thanks again,

JoshuaE

He means "for most jobs".

Debugging is usually something you do on your own, until you're so stuck that you can't make any progress, at which point you call someone over for a second opinion. It's not really a "multi-player game" though. ;)

Working as part of a code team in general is a useful skill; but it's not clear whether you've done some of that already.

Thank you, Kylotan. I've done some debugging on my own but did not fully complete what I was working on.

Years ago I was involved in the development of a game project where Visual C++ was used and it was debugged with networking and a server and Visual Source Safe. There were about seven of us and there was checking code in and checking code out. People would be waiting to check out a function, etc. I really didn't work there to long.

I thought it would be good to have knowledge of a debugging system. Perhaps I should look at resources for Microsoft Source Safe for a general level knowledge. Or is maybe there is a better choice?

Thank you,

JoshuaE

I also thought I would find some resource on team debugging strategies too I just haven't.

for the bulk of posts

As @[member='Kylotan'], said most jobs.

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

What I'm looking for is the best source control program for general learning. Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you,

JoshuaE

Microsoft Source Safe isn't a 'debugging system'. It's a version control / source control / revision control system (the terms are mostly interchangeable). The Wikipedia article on it is decent: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Version_control

The most popular version control software in use these days is Git, but you usually have to use whatever your company has decided upon. However it's possible to install Git locally and get familiar with it in your own time.

Kylotan, That's what I was looking for. I have taken a look at team foundation, now I'll look at Git.

Thank you,

JoshuaE

Learn how to use git, subversion and perforce and you'll be set to handle most version control systems you're likely to encounter in professional work.

Hope this helps!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement