Sign in to follow this  

Unity Procedurally generate water around a procedurally generated map

This topic is 367 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I have been playing around with the idea of building a survival / crafting / rogue-like / etc top down 2D game in Unity3D and been building out very simple implementations of the core gameplay mechanics the past couple of weekends (character animation / movement / attacking, health / stamina system, inventory system, basic GUI for health / stamina / inventory, building / destroying structures, etc.). Now I am working on some basic procedural map generation. From what I have read, the easiest (maybe best for my needs) is to basically do multiple passes of using different noise generation to generate the different layers of my map. Currently I am doing one pass of simplex to generate the basic ground map (dirt / sand, grass, dark grass / swamp) and so far pretty happy with it:

w5pqeF1.png

The issue I am now facing is that I want to procedurally generated water surrounding this map to basically acts as a natural barrier to keep the user within this map (instead of just having a random point where the user can't move). Noise generation does not seem like it would work for this since I need it to only be around the map (and be pretty thin but still have some "natural" looking form instead of just being a straight line type thing) and noise generation is well, random.

What would I have to do to achieve something like this?

The trick is combining the noise with a gradient emanating from the center of the map, so that it forms a sort of island.

I would basically combine the noise (if normalized from zero-one) with a gradient (also normalized) by adding 0.5 to the gradient and then the noise and then multiplying those two values together to get an 'on land' value that has a varied perimeter if you assign some threshold. The gradient could be something as simple as the inverted distance from the center of the map to the extent of either XY dimension, so that at the middle you have a full value of 1, and then by the time you reach the edge or near a corner you're at 0.

Noise is a giant combinatorial playground.  Sadly I can't show any visual examples because my noise code is long lost to the ether, but I'd do something like this:

1.  Convert your coordinates to polar coordinates.

1.  Make a circular gradient function that takes your polar radius.

2.  Apply a step function at your desired radius to make an circular island instead of a fuzzy ball.

4.  Go back and apply noise to the radius of your gradient.  Now you have a weirdly shaped island.

Then you can just blend that with your existing map to get an island with biomes.  Your island mask is the control, so you don't need to futz around with normalization or multiplication.

Note that this will not play nice with height, or your coasts will be weirdly "cliffy".  If you want to add mountains and such with real height figures, you'll need something like what deftware suggested, or something more sophisticated.

This topic is 367 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By Mert Oguz
      well, i have started developing games last year, alone , I made a singleplayer 3d openworld rpg on unity you can look at it on googleplaystore ( kooru stone rpg ) whatever, this year, i wanted to make mmo, which gone really fine until I first try real hosting, I was working on "wamp" until then. The reason i am desperate now is that the way my game works.
      On my pc, using wamp mysql , with localhost as host for my game, i was testing my mmorpg with using andorid emulators, ofcourse no lag no issues no restrictions, beautiful dream... But then, I wanted to get real host from web, so, I rent a basic, cheaphest ever web host ( 10$ year ), and transferred my php files along with sql database. 
      So, I launched the game, still no issues, tried to handle 2-3 players by using my pc, phone, friend's phone...  
      After a while, ( after really short time (3-4mins)) host started not to respond, beacause those web hosting were not fit to handle mmos, i predicted that.
      now what i am explaining is that my game works like this and asking what way should i use to handle it :
      - Creates web request ( like : webhost.com/game/getplayerdata.php?ID=2 )
      -Reads request ( request result be like = "ID2-GoodGuyXx-23-123-4-123-43 )
      -Builds player using result string
      -does similar requests REEAALY FREQUENTLY  ( total requests of 8 - 12 times per seconds )
      With my current ultimate cheap web hosting, i can handle 2 players with low lag ( lol ) but, i want to handle around 20-100 players,
      just need a clear path, i have been struggling with google cloud sql and other vps server dedicated server options, i dont wanna pay much and get ripped off.
    • By Apollo Cabrera
      That planet is awesome!!! It's just slowly dissipating into space. Death by emmissions
      Love the green and yellow-orange juxtaposition (did I just say that?).
    • By Marc Vandenbosch
      D.O.T is an abstract arena shooter in which you fight for highscore with good or bad weapons.
      Follow me if you want more info:  https://twitter.com/bombjackm
    • By Apollo Cabrera
      Yasss!!! My first Unity3d game is on the App Store and Google Play.
      Download please! About 30 minutes to get through 5 missions.
      Let me know what you guys think.
      Thanks a bunch
      Bleeping Bots MacOsx Demo Cut.mp4
    • By TheZeph
      I've been doing some digging and come to the conclusion that I'm not really qualified to identify a game engine for my project alone so I came here asking for some advice.
      My game idea involves movement inside a sphere where you always have your feet on the ground (the "walls" of the sphere), basically an inverted planet. It's supposed to be multiplayer so it's not just you moving in the world. When you jump, gravity (or force etc) pulls your character towards where it jumped from and the character model should have its feet pointing that way.
      I'm really new to this and my own conclusion is that it messes with core functionality of Unreal Engine 4 which makes it really hard for me as a beginner to wrap my head around. It comes with practice but It's hard for me to come to a fair conclusion on what engine to use based on my knowledge. Therefore I'm asking for some guidance. I have most experience with the Unreal Engine.
      What engine would you recommend?
      Is the game idea with being inside a sphere difficult to do in general? Do you have any tips?
      I'm kinda lost at the moment so thank you for the help!

• Popular Now