Help for naming metals/alloys

Started by
8 comments, last by Unduli 7 years, 3 months ago

Hello there o/ ,

As title might suggest I am working on industry chart for a browser based game and having some difficulty with naming metals as some sounds stupid :) So I thought I can use some help.

Current draft is

Base :

- Iron

- Coal

- Titanium

- Aluminum

Iron + Coal = Steel

Steel + Titanium = Durasteel ( I am ok with this :) )

Steel + Aluminum = Litesteel ( Didn't like much :/ )

Titanium + Aluminum = Superalloy ( Hated this name as sounds very cheesy :D )

Probably not but there might be Titanium + Aluminum + Steel but have no idea regarding name, TriAlloy? :)

So I'd be pleased if you could help me naming last 3+1 alloys.

Thanks in advance,

mostates by moson?e | Embrace your burden

Advertisement

I don't think basing imaginary alloys on humble real metals is likely to work well, not only because of unclear and confusing names (partly real, partly invented, partly invented but colliding with real manes of something else) but because starting from iron, aluminium and titanium creates expectations of realism that are later betrayed by stunts like putting aluminium in steel to make it lighter.

If the game is fantasy, go with simple general categories and unscientific naming according to origin, use or other attributes of metals, for example:

• cheap steel
  • sword steel
  • spring steel
  • hammer steel
  • demon steel
  • star steel
  • ingots of steel found in an ancient tomb, enough to make a large sword or two small ones, archeological evidence that it was very precious, but unknown special properties
  • ghost touch steel (able to cut incorporeal beings)
  • elf sword steel (recycled from war surplus)
  • Damascus steel, ancient
  • Damascus steel, fake but good looking
  • Damascus steel, attempted reproduction by a renowned NPC blacksmith
  • western stainless steel (bluish dark grey)
  • eastern stainless steel (yellowish)

etc. It goes without saying that the composition of these alloys is "I don't know, it's probably magic anyway"

If the game is realistic, don't invent materials or names, and accept the use of many, many more elements in what you can still call steel or aluminium. The "Steel" category on Wikipedia is a fun starting point.

If the game is futuristic, metals aren't likely to improve much from contemporary technology, Extraordinary materials should be more exotic, e.g. carbon nanotubes.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

First thanks for reply,

"Problem" is I want every metal to have at least two purposes and don't involve a metal solely to complicate formula. Game is intended to have some degree of realism

From that POV,

Iron is used for steel, iron can and constructions

Coal is used for steel and power plant

Steel is used for alloys , steel can, constructions and weapons

Aluminum is used for alloys and aluminum can

Reasoning behind a durable steel is for vehicles (like tank) needing a solid armor

Reasoning behind a light steel (which is actually poor man's so called superalloy) is for vehicles like helicopters

Reasoning behind a super alloy is for high end weaponry like stealth fighters etc

I know titanium+aluminum makes no sense :) but don't want to include yet another metal just to make it sense :) as I can counter balance it cost wise with a formula of 1 Ti + 1 Al = 1 sAlloy

But maybe calling them simply as

- durable steel

- light steel

might make sense.

But superalloy still sounds cheesy as there's nothing super in it :D

Does your game involve resource management (do everything without the boring overhead and complication of many overspecialized materials) or crafting fancy items (make everything with a reasonably complex and easy to obtain BOM)? You might prefer different simplifications in the two cases.

With a focus on resource management you might simply mine and purify iron, zinc, etc. leaving out fancy alloys with fancy names, either because you sell simple materials and their use is outside the scope of the game or because there are somewhat abstract factories that turn iron, zinc, copper etc. into, say, tanks and airplanes without exposing pointless details. In a strategic military/economic simulation the player would decide that, for instance, conquering coal mines and reopening old copper mines is necessary to keep up tank production, while an improved air force is out of the question because it would need unlikely supplies of aluminium and titanium.

With a focus on crafting advanced stuff you might provide supplies of almost ready materials and skip the details of their mundane but complex origin and composition. The mad scientists in the giant robots lab don't go shopping for aluminium additives and don't manage mines and foundries: they pressure the administration into approving a large budget item for "research materials" (from which they'll invent something miraculous), they wait for a downed UFO and recycle its hull, they reverse-engineer recipes with a productive capacity that depends on how useful the stuff is.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Thanks again,

Well, as it's a multiplayer browser game, I seek a delicate balance between too few options and overwhelming choices. Because there will be people / companies needed for each step.

People will have chance to manufacture everything as long as they can afford cost of factory, raw and labor. Just high end stuff needs more labor and time intensive processes.

And as I want to involve manufacture processes , I am not big fan of simple Steel + Titanium = Tank formula . So I'll take first path with even greater detail in "Capitalism Plus" ish style :)

Btw ,

As game also involves chemicals (which is basically coming from a chemical mine??? as Q1 (Quality 1) and goes up to Q5 through simple purification each time requiring heat treatment and loses half of mass) , I didn't finalize but a different composition of

Steel + Qn Chemical = Hardened Steel etc or

Making "Superalloy" ( I hate that name :D ) rather logicalish with including a binding chemical so Ti + Al + Chem = sAlloy

might make sense. And there is room for new materials fresh out of UFO as you mentioned but it's exclusive to ingame Evil Admin Company :D EAC may even sell premium composites in future :P

Thing is I want low level weapons ( guns, rifles etc ) to be easily accessible but high end stuff being rather expensive. Let me clarify things a bit then will be pleased to ask your opinion again.

Ok, have a new draft :)

Base:

- Iron : Iron Can, Steel, Low Quality Construction and Weapons

- Coal : Steel, Fuel

- Titanium : Military Vehicles

- Aluminum : Aluminum Can, Construction

Iron + Coal = Steel

Low Q : Steel + Chemical = Hardened Steel (Armor Steel ? )

Mid Q : Titanium + Steel ( + Chemical binder? ) = Durable Steel (?)

Mid Q : Aluminum ( Poor Man's Titanium ? )

High Q : Titanium

Maybe in future very high Q : Titanium + Aluminum = Composite whatever

This way naming makes rather more sense imo and Ti + Al wasn't meant to be superalloy :) ( Although just googled to find Titanium Alluminade exists and its lightweight and resistant )

Question is as usual, does it make sense and how would you name them?

Thanks in advance

But must everything be it's own allow?

Can you not just do something like:

common tank: 5 steel

late game hitech tank: 2 steel + 4 alu + 2 titanium

It's easier for the player to understand. If you want more complexity, add craftable stuff like:

1 steel + 2 alu = 1 composite plate

hitech tank = cost 2 composite plates.

(but i dont think its needed unless HEAVY focus on management. Do you also have other resources like oil, rubber, food, manpower etc? Is all those needed? Do they make the game more fun? Sometimes adding many resources just for the sake of adding them actually takes AWAY from the strategy. Having distinct resources makes the player more able to make choices)

Just like Lorenzo, I would also be bothered by mixing real stuff with fake alloys so i think the above solution (or similar) is better.

Well, "unfortunately" whole set of resources is in game :) and I agree with not adding resources just for the sake of adding so first checking if really needed (like in rubber, sole practical usage of rubber is for tires so didn't add a rubber plant or a rubber factory, instead just using oil+chemicals -> tires ) and ensuring it has multiple uses.

Reasoning behind using alloys is

- There are low , mid, high Q weapons in melee, air, land, naval. So trying to ensure high Q ones both cost a lot and needs much process while low-mid ones are rather easily accesible.

When looking,

Iron, Steel, Hardened Steel, Durable Steel, Aluminum and Titanium may seem much but there are many manufacturing options. When you enter the kingdom of Hardened Steel, Durable Steel and Titanium you already know that you manufacture either High Quality construction or weapon.

And I think it's fair to use simple explanatory names instead of fake alloys. Thanks for reply.

Btw, I know title will be a bit falsificating but for construction sector I have such draft;

Stone Quarry / Gravel Pity

Stone Quarry -> Stone

Gravel Pit -> Gravel

Stone can be crushed in mechanical crusher

Stone (Construction)

Gravel ( Gravel + Oil -> Road construction ) , Gravel -> Cement @ Cement Plant

Sand (Construction) , Sand -> Brick @ Brickworks?

Fine Sand -> Glass @ Glassworks , Fine Sand can be used for sandblasting (aka consumable at some factories)

Or a simplified version may have

Stone

Gravel

Sand (Combines Sand and Fine Sand)

Once again, does it make sense and which one makes sense more? :)

Thanks in advance,

Basically real thing can be interesting. Coal is not a metal. And already there are so many alloys out there. The metallurgy industry does use such naming conventions. I recommend that real metal be used.

Aluminum, Cobalt, nickel, = AlNiCo. That is a real alloy.

All alloys are having distinct properties from their bases. But Alloys still, are having streaks of the base metal. For example just add 1 % carbon metal and the properties are distinct. It totally depends on how relevant to real thing you wanna a accomplish.

Basically real thing can be interesting. Coal is not a metal. And already there are so many alloys out there. The metallurgy industry does use such naming conventions. I recommend that real metal be used.

Aluminum, Cobalt, nickel, = AlNiCo. That is a real alloy.

All alloys are having distinct properties from their bases. But Alloys still, are having streaks of the base metal. For example just add 1 % carbon metal and the properties are distinct. It totally depends on how relevant to real thing you wanna a accomplish.

Coal indeed isn't a metal but traditionally used in steel mills. And sticking to realism is nice but too much realism without any good reason only annoys player imo.

I think I'll stick with Lorenzo's suggestion but with kicking Aluminum out for now as I can replace aluminum can with glass bottle :) Therefore,

Iron

Steel = Iron + Coal

Hardened Steel = Steel + Chemical

Titanium

Hardened Titanium = Titanium + Chemical (maybe + Steel)

in order of quality ergo cost :)

And for construction I also decided to go with simpler set therefore,

Stone

Gravel -> Cement

Cement

Sand -> Brick / Glass

Brick

Glass

no need for large stones or fine sand :)

Thanks everybody and merry Xmas (to those who apply :) )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement