Sign in to follow this  

The daily WTF - time to laugh at me

Hahahaha,  I like stories like that.

They simply add to my knowledge of how fucked up the software world is... (And I generally try to avoid fucked up things).

Generally when file is locked try ProcessExplorer (windows) ,locate the handle and simply close it :) 

Generally when file is locked try ProcessExplorer (windows) ,locate the handle and simply close it :)

True enough. This is how I discovered it was VBCSCOMPILER.exe locking the folder. Unfortunately, killing it unlocked the folder only temporarily, until I tried to recompile...

Hahahaha,  I like stories like that.
They simply add to my knowledge of how fucked up the software world is... (And I generally try to avoid fucked up things).

Ugh process explorer. So useful and so annoying.

It's had a memory leak in it for getting close to a decade now that nobody has fixed despite being reported dozens of times to sysinternals and ms.

Try leaving it running for a few weeks on a server which rapidly spawns short lived processes, and see what happens.

THAT is my own wtf... :(

Arguably the most core piece of our multi-million dollar application is named "webapplication1"

No it's not.

Yes it is.

L. Spiro

http://i.imgur.com/FANHfcf.png

http://i.imgur.com/lXf5FdL.png

http://i.imgur.com/TGht0GC.png

Don't worry, even our CEO stopped caring about naming conventions after enough time.

I remember spending a whole day trying to debug why I couldn't write a file to disk in AS3, only to find out that the filename was illegal and the compiler didn't know how to tell me.

I believe it was "com" or "con"?

I remember spending a whole day trying to debug why I couldn't write a file to disk in AS3, only to find out that the filename was illegal and the compiler didn't know how to tell me.

I believe it was "com" or "con"?

That was con, which was a DOS device designation for the console and could used to pipe character streams to a local file. Since it behaved like a directory, it could be abused when running a webserver.

That's how my little NT webserver became a Russian FTP warez server back in 1998.

By far the worst C# screw up for me was spending weeks trying to figure out why Unity wasn't cooperating with my network code...adding a try catch statement in the right spot and realized Unity was bugged and I did nothing short of right......I WAS RIGHT...HA.