C++ Magazine

Started by
3 comments, last by taby 7 years, 4 months ago

Some time ago it was recommended by my C++ teacher to subscribe to the magazine : Dr. Dobbs. I have interest in C++ do you all agree that it is still something to be purchased?

Thank you,

JoshuaE

Advertisement
Dobbs' print run ended in 2009, but the articles are available on the website. IIRC, I believe I stumbled upon a zip file of the entire archive once, but I might be confusing it with something else.

I'm not aware of any print magazines for C++ specifically, the few print magazines that are around are broader or have a specific industry focus.

isocpp.org is a pretty good aggregator for C++ goings-on, though.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Dr. Dobbs is great.

DDJ was great in the late 1990s. In the era before Google knew everything I agree with your teacher, the CD archive was worth the money. I still have a bundle of their archives on CD in my desk. But I haven't touched them in about a decade.

DDJ became less relevant and more mediocre in the early 2000's, but since the important parts were freely available online there was no need for a subscription.

These days it mostly exists as a historical footnote. Sometimes you will stumble across some great articles like lockless queues that are safe on various platforms, but otherwise it isn't much good for reading.

Read the web site if you are interested in the columns. Some are worth reading if you are interested in a specific topic.

One issue discussed putting a TCP/IP interface into a coffee maker, decades before the Internet of Things.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement