Relaxed explorer

Started by
11 comments, last by valrus 7 years, 3 months ago
It can be difficult to strike a balance between base-building and exploration (since base-building keeps you backtracking to one position). It might be interesting to give the goblin a mobile base, like a Romani vardo or a Baba Yaga hut, so that as the player moves further afield, they don't have quite as far to backtrack.
It could even be made a part of the general progression (like the overall need is to move your home, while the intermediate steps serve to move it to the next position). Like in the first position, your home is in danger and you need to move it, so you have to give it wheels. Then you roll to the second position, which is in a new biome with new things to get, but there's a chasm and unlike you, the base can't climb trees above or go in the mines below to avoid it, so you have to craft a bridge for it. In the third, you have to prepare it for a harsh winter, in the fourth you have to turn it into a boat, etc.
Advertisement

That sounds really cool actually, and should emphasize the exploration more, also fortifies other other ideas I had. To play on your idea a bit, maybe there's other traveling gobs that gather season/yearly exchanging regional items? Forming a sort of marketplace. Conceptually it should only make things feel more 'humane' and less survival some players may not prefer? Not sure.

I think I might just use that though thanks :) and I'm fully willing to credit everyone unless of course they don't want to.

I like the idea of other traveling gobs a lot.

Maybe to keep the survival pressure up despite the presence of other gobs, you're the vanguard of the great goblin migration. Young and expendable gobs are sent out ahead on the dangerous work of scouting, finding safe havens, clearing roads and building bridges, etc. So there are no gobs ahead of you -- no living gobs, at least -- but once you move on, more gobwagons roll on in where you used to be. You can go back and visit them, and they'll trade you for the things you used to collect in that area.

That's got a nice directionality to it, I think, You can't get a hold of a future resource early, before you've actually discovered and gathered it, because there aren't any other goblins "further out". On the other hand, the "further back" goblins serve as a convenient marketplace to re-up on past resources, so that you don't have to spend the whole game backtracking to, say, the banana plants every time you run out of banana leaves.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement