• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
renderkid

Vulkan Vulkan can not create RGB framebufer format.

This topic is 670 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all,

Does anyone have explanation why it is like this? I really do not need RGBA as all information fits in 32RGB texture. So having additional 32A just wastes bandwidth.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:34218]

I get this error:
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:34219]

But it works fine with RGBA framebuffer texture
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:34220]

Advertisement

In addition to what was mentioned above, whats the reason for wanting a RGB framebuffer? If this is in reference to your concerns about waste of bandwidth, then that concern is unfounded. There are no native 24-bit types so even if you requested a 24-bit framebuffer and the HW was able to support it, under the covers the HW will still create at least a 32-bit framebuffer and mask/hide access to the 8 unused bits..

That's not a 24bit format (R8, G8, B8), it's a 96bit format (R32, G32, B32)!

I don't know why, but in D3D11, that format is optionally supported as a render-target (D3D will allow it if only your driver agrees), has some weird conditions as a buffer format, and is unsupported for typed UAVs.

GPU's simply don't like three-channel texture formats.

You can always make three R32 textures instead :)

That's not a 24bit format (R8, G8, B8), it's a 96bit format (R32, G32, B32)!

I don't know why, but in D3D11, that format is optionally supported as a render-target (D3D will allow it if only your driver agrees), has some weird conditions as a buffer format, and is unsupported for typed UAVs.

GPU's simply don't like three-channel texture formats.

You can always make three R32 textures instead :)

I'm using AMD RX480

Radeon Software Version16.11.4

Hmmm. Yea.. That's really strange then...
But yea. Creating each framebuffer as R32 totally works.

But little bit more painful if using packHalf2x16

Edited by renderkid

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!