Sign in to follow this  

Simple 3D Pathtracer on a microcontroller

Hi,

because i love the idea of pathtracing i would like to port a simple 3D pathtracer (at first only with spheres) to a microcontroller. Because microcontrollers don't have a lot of RAM (usually) i have to figure out, how much i would actually need. I have a TFT-Display with 128x128 pixels. The last time i wrote a (very simple) pathtracer for a desktop-pc, i used a byte-array with 3 bytes (red, green blue) for every pixel. To do this on a microcontroller this would lead to a total ram consumption of at least ~50kB! Do you have any ideas how i could shrink that memory consumption by saving data more efficiently?

Edited by IsItSharp

you could use 5-6-5 rgb color encoding (16bit per pixel instead of 24) - but you also could use tiles (this is what oold hardware did) I do not know what your microcontroller is capable of, so it's hard to tell if it will work or not.

On the other hand if your microcontroller is so limited in resources I doubt that it will have enough computational power to do pathtracing in realtime at sufficient fps rate.

a microcontroller is generally only going to have its own internal registers and not really any kind of memory for actual storage if you are really talking about a microcontroller.  unless you mean another actual processor.

You could do something similar to what quake 2 did with its software renderer.

In short create a colour mapping of colours in 256 colour mode that emulate rgb, e.g. 2 bits red, 3 bits green and 2 bits blue, saving a spare bit for alpha blending.

Why an extra bit for green you ask? Simple. Human eyes are more sensitive to green light so you'll appear to have a wider colour range by using more bits for the green channel.

Note that this isn't entirely exactly like the way quake 2 did it because their pallette seemed to prefer reds, yellows and browns for some Gameplay specific reasons I forget right now.

The full writeup is here: http://fabiensanglard.net/quake2/quake2_software_renderer.php

Let me know if this helps at all. :)

Even with only 8 bit per pixel you'd still need 16K for a 128x128 pixel image. There is no way around adding some RAM somewhere. How are you driving that display? If it is one of those displays you communicate with over SPI, it will already have enough memory built in. Otherwise there are dedicated driver ICs that either have some internal VRAM or can be connected externally to it.