Steam games

Started by
20 comments, last by Gian-Reto 7 years, 3 months ago

Someone mentioned that Steam was where people mainly get their games. Are the games on Steam played online or downloaded?

Thank you,

JoshuaE

Advertisement
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_(software)

If you're interested in games and/or game dev should probably just download Steam and get familiar with it. They're about to have a big winter sale, so now would be the time.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Steam is a distribution platform. So provides a means to purchase and download games, and simplifies the whole process. It is actually far more than this now but that is the heart of the system.

As khatharr stated, the winter sales starts shortly so you will be able to pick up some indie games for a few cents. There are also a load of free to play games so it need not cost you anything. With the F2P MMO sort of games the subscriptions or dlc purchase sometimes go through steam and other times direct to the company.

It is a goal for many to get onto steam but to be honest it has recently become a tsunami of shite cheap games, i heard that 60% of the entire games list were added in the last two years

it has recently become a tsunami of shite cheap games

(Which - despite massive amounts of complaining - has caused no actual problems for anyone anywhere.)

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

it has recently become a tsunami of shite cheap games

(Which - despite massive amounts of complaining - has caused no actual problems for anyone anywhere.)

This. Actually, it's not anywhere near over saturated yet. I have an awful game on steam I bought the rights to/added cards etc, and it's making around $180/month.

There's still a large opportunity for .50 shovelware with steam features (Trading cards/achievements etc).

Does Steam only accept games from major publishers, or will I take a game from an indie developer?

Any new developer (Without a major publisher) has to go through greenlight.

Basically you pay $100, and upload a description/screenshots of your game, and people vote on whether or on they'd buy it. If you get a few thousand yes votes, steam is willing to host your game.

https://steamcommunity.com/greenlight

What is the typical earnings for a typical tile based game, pretty great?

And where\how is everyone selling indie games besides Steam and Greenlight?

(With some figures if possible?)

Thank you so much,

Joshua

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement