Resources in ww2 RTS like starcraft/age of empires

Started by
6 comments, last by suliman 7 years, 3 months ago

Hi

In a RTS like starcraft/age of empires (you build buildings, train units, fight for map control etc) but set in ww2, what would be good resources?

My idea so far:

Supply/funds - needed for buildings and some other stuff units

Steel - for most units (build mines at metal deposits)

Oil - for tanks/planes and ships (build pumps at oil deposits)

power plants is used to power buildings (like in dune 2, red alert etc)

Would this work? How would supply be produced? factories? Or more a general use like it would be "money" then supply/funds could come from goldmines, trade, civilian buildings etc.

Advertisement

A possible alternative to the supply resource could be organization - the concept of having enough staff and command coordination to handle increasing numbers of units. Same idea, really, but might help spur some differences from other games. Oil/fuel is probably a must-have, given it's importance in WW2. Iron/Steel/Metal is a good catch-all term for a structural resource.

You could also try having something like manpower. Producing by various 'training' facilities and used in varying amounts to build any unit. Destroyed vehicles might leave injured drivers/crew that you could recover. Likewise, infantry might occasionally leave wounded instead of just dying. Sending in medic teams and recovery teams can help you conserve manpower.

I Create Games to Help Tell Stories

There's a military principle of "reinforce success not failure". The application of this is feeding resources into successful actions -- so you could abstract the resources out as being bought by "victory points" for taking map areas and enemy unit kills.

"Major! Your success is being noticed by division -- you're to press on towards Foosville by nightfall! And they've asked if you would like a tank or armoured infantry battalion to assist you?"

You could have something like Cattle Ranch which could supply both saltpeter for gunpowder and rations for troops. Brass was another metal that was used a lot, particularly for ammunition. I believe silk was used for a variety of things including parachutes. But, if it's a more Starcraft-style game you may want to limit the number of resources.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Manpower sounds nice but not so related to building cost (so something more general like "supply" is better).

But if "supply" is the base resource for general costs and buildings (and i like that name:) ) what about "unit population". I was thinking buildings supply depots ->gives unit pop (in starcraft /age of empire/company of heroes you have a limit on number of units). What could this be called?

Other option :

funds = the base resource

supply = unit pop

It was houses at AoE so does it make sense to use "barracks" for cheaper land troops and "military base/depot" for vehicles?

And for fund, maybe combination of gold mine and "tax" (which is function of population you control) can be used for "funds" , may even incorporate a "market" where player can cash out units

mostates by moson?e | Embrace your burden

anything that was rationed

gas - all petroleum products actually

food meat dairy etc - sawdust for making bread was about the only thing not rationed in at least some parts of continental Europe at some point in time during the conflict.

rubber

tin

copper

uranium

steel - iron

aluminum

resources for making gunpowder and explosives - but might be commonly available.

rubber, oil, and steel were big players. you could almost say japan went to war over them.

as for what to call people and money - you're a general - so its not dollars. the country prints the money, gives it to the factories / workers, and they produce the output you need - IE war materiel. most wargames use the term "resource points".

people is just the available manpower for training. not the entire population can fight. some are too young or old, or not physically or mentally fit enough, some work in the factories, government, transportation sector, etc, keeping the home front chruning out war materiel and manpower.

so you'd have some amounts of material and manpower available to build buildings and train and equip units.

for an AOE type progression, you'd have military base as you basic recruiting building, perhaps port and airbase as well for naval and air units. at later "ages" you'd get better bases that could build better units like tanks vs inf, or build units faster, or multiple types at once, etc.

things like oils fields, iron mines, coal mines, and rubber plantations would be natural resources to fight over.

but like all RTSs, the model of iron+coal=steel steel+factory+materiel+ manpower=tank unit is unrealistically compressed in both time and space. never in ww2 did they ever capture a rubber plantation, then build a rubber factory next to it, then start turning out tires for trucks for infantry and arty which then took place in any nearby battle. they'd capture the resources, ship them thousands of miles off the game map, then have the units shipped back to the theater of action once produced. so unless your map covers the world , it'll be kind of weird. but it could be done - with proper scale of time and distance. but that would be a much more "strategic" game than your typical RTS. units would be divisions and armies and corps at the smallest. navies would be enitre fleets, air units would be entire sqadrons. kind of like third reich- that scale. the game map would be the entire world, say at about 250 to 500 miles per hex. contrast AOE where you have individual villiagers,or warcraft with orc grunts. one of the things about more modern war is its on a much bigger scale. its not a villager mining ore and a smiithy making swords and a training camp making individual warriors, its a mining complex with hundreds or thousands of workers. and factories with hundreds or thousands of workers, and buildings and units that take months or years to build. and things are hundreds or thousands of miles apart from each other. long build times and maps thousands of miles across are not typical material for an RTS type game. how does starcraft address that issue? i assume they have some sort of warp drive, so long distances are irrelevant. how long to build a big star cruiser? game years? it should be. but a battle involving one can be over in minutes. the differences in timescale between production and combat makes for a bit of a problem. i suspect this is more so with more modern techs which take longer to build.

the closest that ww2 came to rts production was the siege of stalingrad where cottage industry gunsmiths would assemble weapons which were immediately issued to troops in the city and saw action within hours of manufacture within blocks of their place of manufacture. but the resources were already there, shipped in from hundreds of miles to the east.

and sun and shadow is right - almost everybody saved and reused brass shell casings. except for us ugly americans, who were overpaid, oversexed, and over there.

manpower can win battles but without materiel you'll lose the war.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

I've switched to a near-futury (light sci-fi) scenario. I'm replacing oil as the resource for "top of the line units" (tanks, aircrafts).

What about thorium for this? Or some other rare earth element? That can be mined on the map and used as the most limited resource.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement