Openworld Gameengine

Started by
5 comments, last by AxeGuywithanAxe 7 years, 3 months ago
Hello.

My Question is this: What for a game engine should I use for a very realistic Open World Game?

My favourites are Unreal Engine 4, Cry Engine 5 and Unity 5 Engine. But maybe you know another good engine to do that.

I only interest for this: Which Game Engine is the best for Open World games and why.
I know there is no best but I want your experiences in this area.

I am quite good in programming and have a team of 10-15 people so programming languages aren't a important factor. They also don't know which engine we should use.

Thank you for your help.

Your Alphaverse
Advertisement

Hi Alphaverse,

I guess the very first question should be: how much experience in game making do you and your team members have? Usually people set on an engine they have used before and they are comfortable with, since we are kind of past the point of "which one is the supreme one", have you guys done a full game before from start to finish?. Also, what does your team look like? I am assuming you don't have 15 coders, so what does the composition looks like and their individual experience making games?

Greetings

I think this is a perfect example of what these forums are for.

On to your question I would say UE4. My personal limited experience (5 months), has shown me that UE4 has so much ability grow to the game's needs.

Additionally, Ark was made with UE4, therefore if your open world idea follows to some points of how the world works within Ark you may have your answer. Sometimes it is a great idea to look at the games made with different engines and see if they running in similar ways to the game you are developing. Often the larger ones have dev blogs about their experience or thought on the engine they used.

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

Hi Alphaverse,

I guess the very first question should be: how much experience in game making do you and your team members have? Usually people set on an engine they have used before and they are comfortable with, since we are kind of past the point of "which one is the supreme one", have you guys done a full game before from start to finish?. Also, what does your team look like? I am assuming you don't have 15 coders, so what does the composition looks like and their individual experience making games?

Greetings

Hello. We just did some small games for us. There we worked with all of the 3 engines.

And no. We are 4 coder, 2.designer, 3 people who give a story and features, 3 people just for model making and 3 people for testimg and some other stuff.

We have experiences with all 3 engines.

Hi Alphaverse,

Greetings

Hello. We just did some small games for us. There we worked with all of the 3 engines.

And no. We are 4 coder, 2.designer, 3 people who give a story and features, 3 people just for model making and 3 people for testimg and some other stuff.

We have experiences with all 3 engines.

Well, if you guys have experience making games and have used all three engines, I would probably rank them in this order Unreal, Unity, Cryengine. I am going to throw the very same suggestion that has been thrown a billion times before: don't start with an open world, focus on a captivating aesthetic, some particular mechanics you guys might have and make a far smaller scoped game from start to finish, something cool and playable but that actually allows you guys to finish it in a reasonable time frame. That will give you a proper product to build many things on: teamwork and an actual title if you guys want to take this into forming an actual game studio.

On a side note, seems like you have quite the large team :/, 3 people working on "giving story and features" sounds probably like too much for me, specially since that kinda sounds like a game designer and you already mentioned you got 2 of those; larger teams don't always mean faster progress :/.

But anyways, I would probably go with Unreal Engine, it has pretty much everything you guys might need, I have certainly seen many games going the open world route and choosing Unreal, and it will allow your whole team to be in on the development, regardless of their ability to code (others do this too, I just like UE better). Best of luck to you and your team :D

Unity 5 is not suitable out of the box for Open worlds.

But I'd guess I'd have to go with Unreal.

While Cryengine is absolutely designed for open worlds. Unreal at least has some incredibly stable dev tools.

Though at the moment I am using my own engine.

I'm fairly sure that all of those Game Engines have created open world... I'd say that it would be quite difficult to choose between Unity and UE4, Cryengine is still kind of a mess right now... but it seems like they are slowly cleaning up their code base. Unity 5 benefits over UE4 because they support graphics features such as batching and dynamic instancing, which is definitely beneficial when it comes to large open spaces.. UE4 has better multithreading when it comes to rendering, and they tend to have more out of the box features for their engine. In my opinion, I would go with UE4 just because they give you source access... Open World Games have specific requirements, and you'll need to modify both renderer and engine/game side code to get the most efficiency out of it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement