Sign in to follow this  

Jailbreak - prototype released

Hey guys,

A few days ago I released a playable prototype of a hobby project of mine, called "Jailbreak". The original plan was to make a stealth action game with metroidvania-like levels, with multiple paths and ways to complete objectives. The ultimate goal of the game would be to espace "The facility", a prison-like complex on a small island. As these things normally go, I haven't been able to put as much time into the project as I would like and the thing never got past the initial stages.

However, I few weeks ago the Ludum Dare 37 jam inspired me with its "one room" theme and I figured I should make a fairly polished level with one room, demonstrating the concept. This release was made over the course of about two weeks, so obviously this is not a jam game (also I had made some content earlier). Everything in this build except the sound is made by me. The game runs on my custom game engine and I made some programmer art and animations using Blender. In fact, this is my first game project with humanoid characters and I wrote the animation system for this in about two nights so please bear with me and my horrible animations.

jb.png

The game runs on modernish Windows PCs. You need to have VC++ 2013 x64 runtimes and a decent DX11 GPU. Here are links to a video as well as the build itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCPLI9g1NkE

Download prototype: http://www.sourcedrive.net/jailbreak_proto.zip

All in all I am fairly happy with how the thing turned out. Given time this could be made into the proper game it was supposed to be. There is also fairly good mod-support thanks to my engine being built for that sort of thing. Enemy behavior, patrol routes, buttons elevators etc. can be scripted directly in the level editor. With a little bit of polish I could ship the editor too. Also, since my engine is made for multiplayer I already have a test build for networked multiplayer running on my machine. There are some gameplay questions that need answering though. Here is a screenshot of the level in the editor:

editor.png

Feel free to try the game out if it sounds like your kind of thing. I recommend playing with an Xbox gamepad, but you can also control the character with WASD + the mouse.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Yeah, it is based on raycasting. It is a pseudo-3D system where the visibility blockers are flattened onto a horizontal plane after which convex hulls are calculated from them. I also note the lowest and highest point of the blockers so that enemies can see "over" and "under" a blocker. Static blockers are merged into larger ones and processed at level export time and dynamic ones are flattened and made into convex hulls each tick they are moved. The blocker geometry can be seen in the screenshot below. The blockers use different colors so it is easier to see where they begin/end.

blockers.png

EDIT: And thanks for the kind words! :)

Edited by GuyWithBeard

Sign in to follow this