Things to consider a game in my language into English

Started by
8 comments, last by Tom Sloper 7 years, 3 months ago

There is this game in my language(Korean) I am planning to translate into, say, English. I posted a question at Game Development Stack Exchange, and a user there suggested me post here instead. I want to ask you what would be the things to consider when translating a game into English? Could you give me guideline I could work with? What should be considered most and least?

Advertisement

The usual suggestions for localization will do (they apply to all languages), look them up. Put all strings that could show up on screen into a file and let the game load them from there, and try to avoid making strings on the fly as much as possible (better to repeat text than to risk ending up with something that isn't gramatically correct in another language) (???)

Probably the biggest thing to worry about (aside from text itself) in your case is space. English is going to take more space on screen and likely in memory as well, so you need to account for this issue (if it doesn't allocate enough memory as needed then at least make sure it allocates a lot of it, better to waste than having the text not fit). Some other languages are even worse at this.

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

To clarify, I want to know to what extent the text can be grammatically wrong but "pleasantly readable", and to what extent the text can be inconsistent - inconsistency of how characters say, inconsistency of frequently used words, etc.

To clarify, I want to know to what extent the text can be grammatically wrong but "pleasantly readable", and to what extent the text can be inconsistent - inconsistency of how characters say, inconsistency of frequently used words, etc.

This kind of question is almost unanswerable. Instead, after you make a translation, get a native English speaker to edit it and you will learn from that what is ok and what isn't.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Yes to what sunandshadow said.
1. Translate the words from language 1 to target language.
2. Have a native speaker of the target language identify things that are
unclear (this is called "localization")
3. Fix the found items
4. Localization testing (have native speakers of the target language play the
game)
5. Fix the found items

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Okay, let me give you lists:

Grammar: Pronouns, Prepositions, Wrong conjunction, Articles, Typos, Wrong tense, Inconsistent tense in a sentence, Too academic vocabulary

Style: Inconsistent accent and way characters say, Inconsistent style of text throughout the whole story, Awkward phrases, Wrongly spelled character name, Inconsistent spelling of the name of a character, Style not matching with a character(A commoner talking like a knight)

To clarify, I want to know to what extent the text can be grammatically wrong but "pleasantly readable", and to what extent the text can be inconsistent

Grammar: Pronouns, Prepositions, Wrong conjunction, Articles, Typos, Wrong tense, Inconsistent tense in a sentence, Too academic vocabulary

Style: Inconsistent accent and way characters say, Inconsistent style of text throughout the whole story, Awkward phrases, Wrongly spelled character name, Inconsistent spelling of the name of a character, Style not matching with a character(A commoner talking like a knight)

Oh. So you want to know how much error you can get away with? Or you have
different translators, who have different weaknesses and you want to decide
which is least objectionable? Or you're intending to intentionally poorly
localize the text, and you want instructions on how to do that the best way?

Everything in your list is important. Why not do the best job you can, and
test it with native English speakers to improve it more?

To clarify, I want to know to what extent the text can be grammatically wrong but "pleasantly readable", and to what extent the text can be inconsistent

Oh. So you want to know how much error you can get away with? Or you have
different translators, who have different weaknesses and you want to decide
which is least objectionable? Or you're intending to intentionally poorly
localize the text, and you want instructions on how to do that the best way?

Everything in your list is important. Why not do the best job you can, and
test it with native English speakers to improve it more?

Wow, you've got a true insight! I am currently working with different translators, and developers want it to be released sooner than I think it is possible. Efficiency is of essence right now.

Yes, it would be great, were it possible to consider thoroughly. I mean, really.

Spell-checking should be the responsibility of someone else after the translator finishes; no one is great at spell-checking their own work. Also, too-academic language isn't usually a problem. But the rest are all important.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Wow, you've got a true insight! I am currently working with different translators, and developers want it to be released sooner than I think it is possible. Efficiency is of essence right now. Yes, it would be great, were it possible to consider thoroughly. I mean, really.

Test it now with native speakers of the target language. Fix the found items. Release.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement