Sign in to follow this  

[libGdx] How to set up Button background without stretching it (through ninepatch)?

Hi, so I'm making an UI and I can't figure out how to have a (Text) Button with a background independent of the stretching that the button itself may apply. I tried adding the image to it (since Button extends Table) but didn't work. I'm aware I could just put the background as the ninepatch but it gets horribly stretched since... well... it'd be a ninepatch. The button's Table.setBackground() method doesn't work either...

I also thought of using an ImageButton but apparently that's not what it'd be used for (from Scene2D.ui's wiki):

Note that ImageButton extends Button, which already has a background drawable for the up, down, and checked states. ImageButton is only needed when it is desired to have a drawable (such as an icon) on top of the button background.

I'm really at a loss on how to solve this particular problem, help will be appreciated  :)

TextButtonStyle is what you need. Set the style.up with the drawable you want and that's it all

I'm already using styles.

For the style's drawable you (usually) want a Ninepatch (since the width's dependant of the text u'll put in the button) and having a ninepatch with a background on it will look bad when stretched since that's the point of the ninepatch. If I don't use a ninepatch however I'd have fixed size buttons? What if the text I'll put in the button is larger (wider) than the button itself? That's the problem I'm trying to solve: have 'dynamic' buttons (as in sizable to whatever u want) but with a background (without having it stretched).

In any case, thanks for replying!  :)

You can set a background with a Drawable image create with Texture(LinearFilter) so this way you can reduce the "stretched". Create the size of the texture with the largest size you use in your buttons.