Why doesn't the law do justice for the game industry?

Started by
20 comments, last by monalaw 7 years, 3 months ago
It's not necessarily a majority. Impossible deadlines happen because management either negligently or ignorantly lies to the investors, and gets an impossible project approved.

Or if management is the investor, they first do it out of ignorance, and then fail to learn from their mistakes. If their staff save the day by working for free, then that actually enables them to not learn from their mistake, because their mistake becomes a personal success -- they got free labor! Once they've ended up in that situation, why wouldn't they keep doing it and getting more and more cheap labour?

If your country has labour protection laws, you need yo report these abusive employers. If not, then you need to make a personal choice to say no, or form a union to get every to say no at the same time.
Advertisement
... how can a game like angry birds take a week ...

I believe you are confusing "Angry Birds", a great game with hundreds of levels and great puzzles, with flappy bird, a terrible game with near-impossible mechanics that went viral for being incredibly hard, where you need to survive big hops through tiny gaps and few people are able to pass through more than about 5 holes and passing through 10 is an amazing feat.
Usually those same people who struggled to actually work were the ones hit by seasonal end-of-project layoffs.

If it worked just like you said, the problem would fix itself. It does not. Thus why the situation is as it is right now.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Ok so how do companies from Japan work out things? Like Nintendo for example?

Japan is notorious for "karoshi" ("overwork death"), not only in the game industry. See the Wikipedia entry.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Japan is notorious for "karoshi" ("overwork death"), not only in the game industry. See the Wikipedia entry.

Ok so I looked up into it....so this applies to even companies like Nintendo?

Also, why isn't the government doing anything about it?

The idea is ingrained throughout Japanese culture. Part of the whole "pursuit of perfection" that came out of their history. Japanese culture isn't taught to rock the boat and speak out so everybody does it whether they like it or not. Government won't do anything about it when they do it themselves. South Korea is probably just as bad but they work crazy hours for other reasons.

The idea is ingrained throughout Japanese culture. Part of the whole "pursuit of perfection" that came out of their history. Japanese culture isn't taught to rock the boat and speak out so everybody does it whether they like it or not. Government won't do anything about it when they do it themselves. South Korea is probably just as bad but they work crazy hours for other reasons.

And yet, corporates like Nintendo value family matters. I still am not able to understand this whole thing here since Japan is under continuous fluctuation in terms of the economy so what's the point of this insane working hours?

so what's the point of this insane working hours?

Cultural norms are not subject to sanity norms. There is no point - it just is. People are trapped
in it, and can't get out of it.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

What constitutes "family values" in one culture is not necessarily the same thing in another culture, as well. It may not even be precisely normalized over a single culture, in fact. So it's not necessarily a contradiction that a company claims to support "family values" and also supports excessive working hours. shrug

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement