Sign in to follow this  

Visual Studio Setup Cancellation

I recently formatted my PC and upgraded to windows 10, as it was starting to get really slow and had a few driver issues. 

After getting everything set up, I went to install visual studio, but I had to cancel because I forgot to add a feature. After doing that, the installer displayed a message saying that it installed 5 components out of 309 or something like that.

I really don't want to screw things up with my new setup. Did the act of cancelling the installation do anything that could have harmed my PC? If so, is there any relatively simple, non-hacky fix?

Thanks to anyone who replies.

Edited by Debz

And don't cancel the install next time.  Just run it again later and add the feature you forgot.  I don't think anything would have happened.  I had to uninstall 2017 twice because it failed to install correctly each time.  It would load for C++ but I couldn't debug.

I had similar problems installing VS2017 RC. VS2017 preview 4 was great, installed fine and worked straight off. However uninstalling preview 4 failed, and installing RC took 3 or 4 goes before I got a (barely) working version. However this is beta software and hopefully this will be resolved in the final release.

In my opinion you didn't do anything wrong. One of the basic functions of an installer is that, if you click 'cancel', it should remove every remnant of the program and return your system to how it was before you started. If that doesn't happen, it is a problem with the software installer.

This kind of problem seems to be widespread (and sadly considered 'normal') on windows, maybe partly because of the use of the 'registry', which was an awful idea imo, because it ended up with apps saving their configuration data all over the place in the registry instead of confining them to an area specific to the app. One of the core principles of software design is to develop systems in isolated modules, to prevent exactly this sort of spaghetti mess.