MSAA Quality levels / sampling - good overview / lists?

Started by
2 comments, last by cozzie 7 years, 3 months ago

Hi guys,

When working on MSAA I've noticed that there are dozens of different quality levels for different GPUs and custom stuff Ati/Amd and Nvidia did - EQAA, Quincunx etc.

In most cases that means sampling distribution differences. Now, I guess MSAA and the research on that might not be as relevant any more today, but I've gotten curious and would like to know more.

However, google seems to not be my friend, info on that seems super sparse and even if some new sampling method is presented I rarely find the associated SampleDescription.Quality associated.

I would appreciate if someone could help :)

Advertisement

I don't know of any comprehensive list that you could look at. The quality levels for Nvidia's CSAA modes are in this document, but be aware that they removed CSAA for Maxwell (GTX 970/980/etc.). AMD has a similar guide here. These are the only uses I know of for the quality levels, aside from the standard multisample patterns.

IMO CSAA and EQAA aren't as useful as they could be, because with current graphics API's you only get the benefit if you use a "standard" hardware resolve (ResolveSubresource in D3D11/D3D12). If you're doing HDR rendering then you *really* want to do the resolve yourself for best quality, in which case both CSAA and EQAA are useless since you can't access the additional coverage samples in the shader.

Thank you very much
My few cents:
- there are different to do it, for example through the API itself, using the rendertarget's properties (in dx11 for example).
But you can also do it manually with shaders.
- I think on the frontend side there will only be 2 properties: number of samples and enabled y/n (and perhaps the type of AA, if you support multiple sorts of AA)

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement