Sign in to follow this  

Gameplay code architecture

hey guys,

i ve playing around with unity for almost a year now (not everyday) and i ve come to a point that i need to structure my code in a way that has been done professionally. the internet is just a garbage of information. everything i found was how to show health bar (ofcourse everything in 1 file and with one variable like float hp = 100). how is it done professionally ? buff / debuff ? damage on time ? 

another problem that occurs is, i dont know which concept i need to apply to what or when. e.g. state machine, sounds good but how to actually implement it is a big problem. event system ? perfect, but how ? 

i want to structure my system professionally or better said scalable, maintainable and easy to change code. in other words, design patterns. i need examples of these patterns. can anyone point me out to an example or tutorial or book ?

hey guys,

i ve playing around with unity for almost a year now (not everyday) and i ve come to a point that i need to structure my code in a way that has been done professionally. the internet is just a garbage of information. everything i found was how to show health bar (ofcourse everything in 1 file and with one variable like float hp = 100). how is it done professionally ? buff / debuff ? damage on time ? 

another problem that occurs is, i dont know which concept i need to apply to what or when. e.g. state machine, sounds good but how to actually implement it is a big problem. event system ? perfect, but how ? 

i want to structure my system professionally or better said scalable, maintainable and easy to change code. in other words, design patterns. i need examples of these patterns. can anyone point me out to an example or tutorial or book ?

Design patterns are not your solution.

These are not magic plasters to all architecture problems.

A good book I can recommend on this subject is Code Complete 2.

It focuses on code in various subjects "professionaly".

Keep learning and use Google.

Part of being a developer and espacially a "professional" one, is learning by yourself. 

Focus on specific issues when trying to discuess issues or else you get ton of generic answers with "read X,Y,Z".