Why do you use Linux for dev over Windows?

Started by
27 comments, last by Cwhizard 6 years, 11 months ago

Can you even step through shell scripts in a debugger?

You know, in the nearly 50 years since Steve Bourne invented his shell, you'd think some developer would have need of debugging shell scripts. Weird that a single google for "shell debugger" would yield tens of thousands of results.

The most frequently-seen criticism of using Linux boils down to "I am more familiar with Microsoft Windows." It's not a very good criticism. People who make such criticisms are evidently not very capable logicians and you would be well advised not to hire them into a programming position.

To the OP: there are simple, effective all-Linux workflows for Haxe. If your own personal workflow is a hybrid that uses Windows for some parts and Linux for others, and it would be improved by integrating everything on Windows, then use that more appropriate workflow. It's not a religion. You will find exactly the same technical capabilities on each platform, just sometimes dressed differently.

Mean time I use Linux exclusively, because I am more familiar with it. That's not a criticism of Windows, since I can run vim and the shell on Windows (and Mac OS) just fine when I am called to work on those platforms. It's just that I've been using Unix since before MS-DOS was invented, and I have never become enculturated with the Big Friendly Brother way that comes with the Apple or Microsoft operating systems. Why would anyone "switch to" Linux? Because of the culture of freedom and choice, not because of the technology.

I wasn't the one who voted you down, but your opinion seems to dramatically change between every paragraph of your post and lacks self-consistency. Are you four different people? Or is this satire, or an analogy of the inconsistencies we face on a day to day basis? I honestly can't tell. Where is the winking smiley? ;)
Advertisement

Reminds me of an old political satire cartoon from years back.

"Mit der Windows you haf no freedom of choice - only der Windows."

"But with Linux you have freedom of choice - you can use whatever you like!"

"So in order to preserve that freedom of choice we must force everyone to use Linux."

</offtopic>

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

Simply use whatever you want. Personally I would be stupid to not use a os that adheres to open standards. Linux/Eclipse cuts off hours in my c++ cross platform x-plane developement, as I've said before.

Last time I developed something on Windows, I got screwed by a hidden c++ dependency (MFC activeX) that could only be compiled on visual studio professional that I was trying for free as a student.

Then Windows 10 came with built in spyware and tried to replace my installation of Windows 7 against my will with a UI nightmare. Now Microsoft has fired lots of people that used to fix their bugs so the system will slowly become more unsafe and unstable.

I cannot develop another product that is tied up to a system that microsoft has on life support and spies on the users.

Now I try to develop games on Linux which means that OpenGL is a new dialect on each computer even if they have the same linux distro. I tried Vulkan but it was too verbose and everything was specialized for certain GPU models. I am desperate enough to write a software rasterizer since OpenGL cannot even draw a quad straight without weird half pixel offsets that depend on how broken the drivers are.

I have not played any game since I abandoned Windows since all the linux games on GoG have broken installations with missing dependencies.

Package manager +1

Installing libraries and programs is much much more simple. Pacman is the best package manager that I know of.

Make +1

I like the simplicity in Make.

Several editors available +1 (currently using Atom)

The list is big. Before Atom, I was using the latest version of Gedit. I'm not into Vim or Emacs. Atom is providing a really nice interface with all those benefits with its Ctrl+Shift+P (the command palette).

Terminal +1

People that come from Windows say that using command-line sucks, but command-line sucks on Windows. The Windows' Command Prompt is simply baaad.

I can also compile my C code for Windows +1

Linux has the MinGW toolchain, which allows me to compile for Windows if I wish.

1. The games I make run on windows primarily, or as a lead platform. Therefore, Windows.

2. Edit and Continue in Visual Studio has saved me many work-years in my life. Some debuggers offer extremely rough options to patch the program in progress, but it is nowhere near the power or sophistication. It works like the most tempting darkest arts: Hit a breakpoint. modify code, drag a slider to where you want it to run next, and continue stepping through. No need to recompile, build, get the game into a similar state, or otherwise try to reproduce the conditions. You can do it over and over again.

Hit a breakpoint. modify code, drag a slider to where you want it to run next, and continue stepping through. No need to recompile, build, get the game into a similar state, or otherwise try to reproduce the conditions. You can do it over and over again.

I don't understand. How should this be different to for ex. Eclipse or Qtcreator etc. on Linux?

Hit a breakpoint. modify code, drag a slider to where you want it to run next, and continue stepping through. No need to recompile, build, get the game into a similar state, or otherwise try to reproduce the conditions. You can do it over and over again.

I don't understand. How should this be different to for ex. Eclipse or Qtcreator etc. on Linux?

Days ago, I found that GDB has a Text User Interface (TUI). It was totally a shock for me how I didn't know that for years.

Linux has dameons, Windows has System Services. IMO its easier to write a system service than a daemon, mostly because I already have a system service skeleton written that handles network connection, authentication, and redirect.

Linux servers are more common though, and cheaper. For a small developer this may not be an issue, but if you have to buy a couple dozen copies of Windows for your server farm, it can get pricey.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement