• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MarkS

My special blend of C and C++...

10 posts in this topic

Ah yes, the C–with–classes phase

It's a phase?  Damn, I've been going through that phase for about 20 years then. ;) 

Looks like what a 90s Java programmer would make if told they had to get something working in C++ in a day. Everything 'new'ed, everything gettered-and-settered.

Looks like what a 90s Java programmer would make if told they had to get something working in C++ in a day. Everything 'new'ed, everything gettered-and-settered.

I was just getting my feet wet after years of resistance to C++ and OOP. I'm still resistant to OOP, but slowly coming around. I didn't understand that the purpose of the containers was to remove the need for new/delete and it never occurred to me that if I'm exposing the member to the user via get/set, then it probably needs to be public.

it never occurred to me that if I'm exposing the member to the user via get/set, then it probably needs to be public.

It actually depends on the nature of the class.

For classes whose single responsibility is to contain data, you are right that they should generally just have public data fields.  Mutators and accessors don't make sense for these.

For classes whose single responsibility is actions, the functions should typically be actions.  They should be verbs, DO something.  In the rare case where the inner guts of the object needs to be exposed -- and it should be rare in well-written code -- then proper accessor and mutator methods are the right choice.  They generally indicate that you probably shouldn't be mucking about with the object internals. 

I actually wrote a version of SAFE_DELETE myself in one project, a long, long time ago. That was to fix a crash, and successfully fix the crash it did!

It didn't occur to me at that time that when you need to set pointers to nullptr after deleting, then your program logic is totally fucked. It didn't occur to me that double deletes crashing hard was actually a good thing, either.

EDIT: <loosely related c++ rant>
By the way, the C++ committee has put a lot of effort to make writing code that crashes in a meaningful way (with constants as the ones in the previous post) as hard as possible with C++14.

I noticed first when writing a cross-platform lib which uses among other things... well, "operating system handles" of some kind, which are void pointers under Windows. There are special values that designate special intentions or conditions. One such special value is -1 cast to the respective type. Now, -1 is a perfectly good compiletime constant, is it not. Just like 0xdeadbeef would be. Thus, the obvious thing is something like:

constexpr handle_t invalid_handle_value = reinterpret_cast<handle_t>(-1);

Guess what the compiler tells you (regardless of what type of cast you attempt):

constexpr variable 'invalid_handle_value' must be initialized by a constant expression
   note: reinterpret_cast is not allowed in a constant expression

Great. Thank you. First I thought it was a compiler bug, but this error indeed follows exactly the explicit wording of the standard.

So, we're back to #define invalid_handle_value ((void*)-1). Or we can use a normal const variable, for which the compiler will needlessly allocate an address and room in the executable's rdata section. For a compiletime constant. Very intelligent, thank you again. Much better now.

Guess what the compiler tells you when you try something like constexpr handle_t invalid_handle_value =  &((char*)nullptr)[-1]; to work around this :)

Apart from obviously invoking undefined behavior, this is not a constant expression either...
</loosely related c++ rant>

Or, since you don't actually need the constexpr, you could just write a small inline function:

inline const handle_t invalid_handle() { return reinterpret_cast<handle_t>(-1); }

It will be inlined by just about every compiler out there on the lowest (non-disabled) optimization settings, so no additional global will be allocated. Many of the constants in std::numeric_limits are actually functions.

EDIT: Ok, I just read that constexpr wasn't possible in that case. I'll leave my answer on as it still a valid point towards l0calh05t reply

Or, since you don't actually need the constexpr, you could just write a small inline function: inline const handle_t invalid_handle() { return reinterpret_cast(-1); } It will be inlined by just about every compiler out there on the lowest (non-disabled) optimization settings, so no additional global will be allocated. Many of the constants in std::numeric_limits are actually functions.

1) A constexpr variable will be fully evaluated at compile-time, so there should be no real difference between a constexpr function and a variable.

2) Therefore, if you actually replace a constexpr-variable, do it with a constexpr function. While the compiler can inline your function, constexpr ensures that it will. Actually a constexpr-function will be resolved to a value at compile-time, so this can be enormously faster than even an inlined function (since no code has to be executed for the function at all).

;TL;DR: constexpr > compiler inlining (if you can actually use it :D )

Great. Thank you. First I thought it was a compiler bug, but this error indeed follows exactly the explicit wording of the standard.

Yeah, unfortunately if the type of a constexpr-statement is not a primitive type, you are out of luck. You can define a constexpr-ctor, but I most (platform)-libraries actually won't do that.

Out of interest, whats the exact type of handle_t in your example?

Edited by Juliean

EDIT: Ok, I just read that constexpr wasn't possible in that case. I'll leave my answer on as it still a valid point towards l0calh05t reply

Or, since you don't actually need the constexpr, you could just write a small inline function: inline const handle_t invalid_handle() { return reinterpret_cast(-1); } It will be inlined by just about every compiler out there on the lowest (non-disabled) optimization settings, so no additional global will be allocated. Many of the constants in std::numeric_limits are actually functions.

1) A constexpr variable will be fully evaluated at compile-time, so there should be no real difference between a constexpr function and a variable.

2) Therefore, if you actually replace a constexpr-variable, do it with a constexpr function. While the compiler can inline your function, constexpr ensures that it will. Actually a constexpr-function will be resolved to a value at compile-time, so this can be enormously faster than even an inlined function (since no code has to be executed for the function at all).

;TL;DR: constexpr > compiler inlining (if you can actually use it :D )

Which you can't in this case, ergo const function provided inline. Also, constepxr doesn't guarantee inlining either BTW. Unless evaluated into a constexpr "variable".

Also, constepxr doesn't guarantee inlining either BTW. Unless evaluated into a constexpr "variable".

True, yet its easier to control/check, and a constexpr-function with zero-parameters that is once checked to produce a constexpr-output will AFAIK always be "inlined". In this case its not important though since it cannot be applied - I'm still curious whats the actual type of handle_t is, and if there is not a way to enforce a variable with constexpr nevertheless.