• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
nesdavid

OpenGL Vulkan programming guide

This topic is 552 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
I have it. It's more of a reference, than a well explained tutorial. Also, you need gpu programming experience to fully understand the book.

As a reference and a quick jump to vulkan's world for experienced gpu coders, it is an awesome material.

I too enjoyed this 'Vulkan tutorial' site, didn't copy/paste once! Also I loved some of the modern coding styles (which we didn't have in my days).

However, when I then moved on to adding interaction to the scene, I found there was some ~200ms lag going on? It's probably something trivial but I notice that Sascha Willems' examples worked fine (no lag). Plus I was too busy going around in circles for eternity to return to it.

I have a copy of that book and I'm not sure I can really recommend it. To me, personally, it turned out being a disappointment. Sure, it's the only book (insofar it is the best book on the market) and it's better than nothing, but bleh. After reading 3/4 through it, I feel like I know exactly as much as I knew before (after reading the spec and the above online tutorial).

What I don't like about the book in particular is that it basically gives a short explanation of a concept, then lists each related API function, and gives the short description of each parameter much alike (or identical to) the short description in the spec. Thing is, some parameters are utterly repeating (such as the next/option pointers, every single sentence after each function starts with "... should be set to zero unless you use an extension" -- geez, after the 10th time I've understood this, no need to say it 50 more times).

On the other hand side, some parameters on some functions are not repetitive or self-explanatory or even intuitive. Now, if you are able to read (and if you're reading a book, one can assume that!) then explaining that the parameter incomprehensible_blah does incomprehensible blah is not really helpful. Go figure, I already thought that it would do incomprehensible blah, but I need an explanation what this means, not "is for incomprehensible blah". This has struck me on 4 or 5 occasions.

So... all in all, if you just want something in your hands, go buy it by all means. But if you expect to learn using Vulkan after reading this book, I'm less optimistic.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!