• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
nbertoa

How to find the pixel coordinates of a 3D point?

This topic is 646 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, community.

Recently, I felt I needed to improve my knowledge about perspective projection matrix and depth buffer, so I think a good idea is to write some posts explaining the doubts I had and the sources I read to evacuate them. This could be useful for others and a good reference for me.

The post is the following

https://nbertoa.wordpress.com/2017/01/09/how-can-i-find-the-pixel-space-coordinates-of-a-3d-point-part-1/

It explains the different space transformations from Local Space to Pixel Space and talks about Homogeneous space too.

If you have any suggestions (things to add, modify, things that are wrong, corrections, etc) please let me know, because the intention of this post (in addition to helping people with the same doubts than me) is to learn if my knowledge is correct or not.

Hope you find it useful!

Advertisement
Great article. There is only one thing I'd suggest to elaborate on. I can think of other two reasons why the clipping is performed in clip space:
1 - computation of vertex attributes for generated vertices can be done by simple lerping
2 - you avoid external segment to show up. You can read about this on the great paper by Blinn: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/publication/clipping-using-homogeneous-coordinates/

Thanks IoreStefani. I will read your suggestions and update the post and include a reference to your post in the article

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!