• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Anfaenger

How to pass LOD blend factors to vertex shader for CLOD in a voxel terrain?

This topic is 552 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

[!EDIT!: I should've written this question as "How to ensure matching LOD blend factors on chunk faces in a voxel terrain?"

Hi!

I'm trying to adapt "Continuous Distance-Dependent Level of Detail for Rendering Heightmaps (CDLOD)" by Filip Strugar to voxel terrain.

In the paper above, geomorphing is used to solve two problems:

1) Eliminating cracks between chunks of different LODs;

2) Achieving smooth, continuous LOD transitions.

For this to work, LOD morph/blend factors of vertices on "touching" boundary faces from adjacent chunks must coincide.

E.g., I know that some particular octree node is touching a twice bigger node on PosX face, so for this smaller node all vertices on PosX face must have their LOD blend factors set to 1.0f (i.e. fully morph to parent vertex). At the same time, to prevent cracks NegX-vertices of the bigger node must have LOD blend factors equal to zero.

How to ensure in the vertex shader that blend factors of touching, boundary vertices concide between chunks?

In the vertex shader, dynamically computed LOD blend factors must be set to their corresponding BoundaryFace_LOD_Factor?

Do I need to associate each boundary vertex with the cube face on which the vertex lies?

Edited by Anfaenger

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!