• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
TrianglesPCT

OpenGL Vulkan or D3D12?

This topic is 691 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there any clear advantage with either of these? 

Are vulkan drivers reliable on windows for all of AMD/Nvidia/Intel(ie not like OpenGL last time I used it)?

Edited by Triangles-PCT

Advertisement

Intels Windows Vulkan driver is still beta and developers only - they should make a bold statement about what they have in mind...

Other than that drivers are good enough for Doom :)

People say differences are very small, but Vulkan is open for extensions - already on par with SM 6.0, NV even beyond (Shuffle instruction over all registers, GPU generated command buffers)

(has anyone made a HLSL->SPIR-V transpiler yet?)

It's in official Khronos SPIR-V compiler, but i guess still not finished.

The reason I use D3D12 instead of Vulkan, ist because - driver support, especially on Intel, is way better on D3D12 - runs better on older Nvidia hardware (maybe also a driver issue) - HLSL shader just work - I could port to UWP and run on XBox potentially (they support only D3D11 currently)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!