• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
cebugdev

Looking for Resources, books, links etc for fighting/combat game/system

This topic is 610 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all,

ive been looking for resources, links and books related to building a fighting game in 3D similar to games like Mortal Combat, Street fighter, etc.

ive found a few but im posting here to ask if you guys know any books, resources, links or anything with regards to this genre, specially ones that provide tips,

tecniques and guidelines.

i'd like to know how hand to hand combat games are handled efficiently.

Thank you in advance!

Advertisement

Hi ,

I don't know if I'm late but :

I don't know any resources about that , but I'm a huge MK fan I watch a lot of tournaments ..

It's all about frame data and hit boxes and motion capture .You have a concept for move ( action ) that have damage, animation , hit box at given time , opponent animation on hit , how many frames you can't press a button if you are blocked , how many frames the opponent cant press a button if he is hit , you also have a state of the animation where you are in hit state only at a given time (lets say when the foot of the character is extended to kick) , every move can also have a hit area like low , middle , high ...  . And that's it .. every time you have a collision you compute this  . The problem of these games is the large amount of animation and balancing you have to do , to make it good ..

I couldn't exactly get if you're searching for game design resources, or programming resources.

Game design wise, it is very unlikely to find books, articles or even tutorials that'll please, since game design, sometimes even when about balancing, is more about faith, tons of experience and an extremely accurate and sharp senses and intuition (I mean, like any other type of art). Due to this volatile and "feel-like" aspect, I'd advise reading lots of comments, posts and post-mortens. A good place to find these texts is the Gamasutra

Game development wise, I also think that it is very unlikely to find "big" resources about close quarter combat simulations overall. Usually, you can search around about how people implemented something, or how other programmers believe that something could have been implemented, and prototype your own idea.

i'd like to know how hand to hand combat games are handled efficiently.

We need to understand what you mean by "efficiently" here. It could mean speed of coding, speed of execution, handling of collision, networking...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!