• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Davidtse

OpenGL Can we get a separate Vulkan forum?

This topic is 613 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement

+1 Vulkan is a separate product from OpenGL. Totally different philosophy.

Edited by sirpalee

Usually we don't do this unless there's traffic to warrant it, otherwise we end up with dead forums. For example you'd be surprised at the number of requests I get to migrate stuff out of the mobile forum.

Can you provide some examples of how Google search results are being negatively affected for Vulkan topics, and why you think a different place on this site will alleviate that?

Usually we don't do this unless there's traffic to warrant it, otherwise we end up with dead forums. For example you'd be surprised at the number of requests I get to migrate stuff out of the mobile forum.

Can you provide some examples of how Google search results are being negatively affected for Vulkan topics, and why you think a different place on this site will alleviate that?

If I google "Vulkan Depth Texture", I see four hits from gamedev.net on the first page and all four are OpenGL related. I generally ignore hits from gamedev.net when I'm searching for anything Vulkan using generic terms (as opposed to when I'm using Vulkan specific definitions), because I know they'll almost all be false positives.

Edited by C0lumbo

If I google "Vulkan Depth Texture", I see four hits from gamedev.net on the first page and all four are OpenGL related. I generally ignore hits from gamedev.net when I'm searching for anything Vulkan using generic terms (as opposed to when I'm using Vulkan specific definitions), because I know they'll almost all be false positives.

But how do you expect simply making another forum to solve this? The hits for that query seem to get picked up primarily because of the name of the current forum ("OpenGL and Vulkan") includes "Vulkan." Making a new forum wouldn't really solve that, it would just change the shape of the results slightly. The text "Vulkan" can still appear in other pieces of forum "chrome," like menus and navigation links, regardless of whether or not the actual generated page has content remotely to do with Vulkan.

My gut feeling, glancing over the topics in the GL/Vulkan forum, is that the traffic isn't there, but a change in name might be sufficient to help get the traffic over the critical mass point. Having more visible Vulkan traffic in the forum, in terms of questions and discussions, might help more though. It's worth considering for the next forum re-organization we make, at least.

(FWIW, including "-opengl" in the search query filters out of a lot of false positives.)

I'm a bit mixed on this, what would different compared to dx11 vs dx12?

Basically the confusion isn't built into the name ;)

My first instinct was "no" but I do see the problem. However I believe the false positives are partly because there are so few Vulkan results that Google is reaching a bit for results. I wouldn't tend to split based on current traffic but maybe we can look at it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!